speaker size and head unit

stichy

im looking for a new head unit, im only looking to spend £200.

but i want a head unit with time delay, where you messure how far away each speakers is from the lissner.

like you do with souround sound.

what size are the front and rear speakers? i dont want to spend a lot, £100 on speakers

whta make do you think??

Try someone like Sextons or another web retailer to search for headunits. You can compare prices and features this way without doing too much work. Are you looking at a single or double DIN head unit on that budget? A double DIN on that budget would drastically limit your range. For 200 pounds you will find some very capable single DIN units (most recommend Alpine) but you will also need to buy a facia plate to accept the smaller unit.

This link is very handy, Rob should be on commission for this!

viewtopic.php?f=27&t=16403

The front speakers are 6.5" but fitting them can be a pain in the arse, have a browse through the ICE & Electronics threads.

Most people tend to disconnect the rears and spend more cash on the fronts, I have done this so I am not sure what size the rears are - again you should be able to find out by having a browse through other's threads. I am running Focal comps in my doors, quite a few people regard these as good speakers.

Good luck,

Matt

Two are fine mate as you still get the stereo imaging.

If you were running a decent HIFI at home (for listening to music only) you would go for a good quality stereo amplifier and listen to two speakers in front of you. I believe the theory comes from the fact that generally, we listen to things in front of us. Think 'going to a football match' or 'to the theatre' and as such our hearing is better suited to that. If you’re going to spend £100 on a pair of comps for the doors you will have more than enough sound!

The rears just blast into the headrests too so you’re not really getting much benefit from them. Plus spending £100 on 2 pairs (of speakers) will obviously limit to you to slightly cheaper equipment

I hope that helps,

Matt

thanks mate,

why do people disconect the rears? i would of thought that would make the sound flat,

With good comps and good speaker placement, as the other posts have said, you can get good staging and hence not need rears. With good staging it would sound anything but flat, infact, quite the oposite. In the ideal world we would plug in our speakers and get a great stage. In reality it is extremly difficult to stage a car correctly - it varies a lot between cars and is different for different speakers. Some people go to extreme lengths ro achieve this (myself included). As we don't live in an ideal world, and if you are using the stock speaker locations you might gain from a little from the rear, but at very low levels (faded almost completely to the front). This will help a poorly staged system balance the sound. I wouldn't rule out rears, but i also wouldn't spend a fortune on them either. Put the money in the front speakers and replace the rears IF needed. I think front and rear sizes in the Zed are both 6.5's but i would check that.

isnt it more speakers the better

No, again quite the oposite. On hard surfaces (like glass and plastics) sound reflects, on softer surfaces (like seats, carpet, head cloth etc.) it may get absorbed. Where sound waves interact you may get sound cancellations if like frequencies meet in phase, and amplified sound if like frequencies out of phase creating horrible 'bright' reactions at certain frequencies. What you end up with is litteraly sound anarchy. Less is usually better. Car audio is a minefield, and there are a lot of people out there with an incredible amount of technical understanding and expience. Take a look over on the talkaudio forum if you aren't familiar with it, plenty of technical Q&A believe me!

ikarus