What DSLR Camera is good for value?

Woody

Hi everyone,

As the title really. Im looking to get my girlfriend one for Christmas, but Im clueless on what to get. I was looking at the Lumix DMC-G1, but thats only because its been on TV :blush: . So this is were you folks come in. What can you recommend, price and where from.

Cheers in advance Woody :thumbs:

I use a Nikon D40. Check out my pics here > viewtopic.php?f=11&t=27950

It's the first Nikon in the range (although the D40x seems to have taken over). Great DSLR with more than enough for an amateur to start with. It's not the camera that costs a lot - its the lenses with SLRs. You can point and click with this and get it really crsip, but as time goes on you figure out how to do effects with the light, etc.

The D40 feels solid and is light enough to carry around with you for a few hours if need be. Plus with a Nikon, they are 100% reliable. Canons are good too.

Go to a local Jessops and ask to try a few out (for a starting point your price range with a lense will be about £350 - £500, depending on what model you get). Don't be fooled by the "it has 20 million pixels and this one only has 6 million", etc - unless you're gf is going to print the picture out in poster size (i.e. A3 or bigger) then 6m pixel or higher is more than enough. Its the camera's ability to focus and produce a crisp image that you want.

A 4GB card will store 1.5-3k pictures (depending on quality settings) and battery life is amazing on the Nikons (mine lasts all day no problem and recharges in 1-2 hours tops). As with all digitals, you can simply transfer to PC and start again. :)

Nikon or Canon all the way. The Sony's are okay but really do suffer in terms of quality (both build and sensor) over the big two, and I wouldn't consider anything else at all.

I bought my first DSLR this year and went for the D90 and I don't regret the purchase at all. I too was looking at the lower end of the scale for bodies originally until I was shown the differences by a friend of mine who's seriously into his photography, and that's what convinced me that spending more really would be worth it in the long run. Even the kit lens you get with the D90 is a really decent one, and I've only had to splash out on a 70-300mm lens to use for motorsport photography. It's not a cheap bit of kit (available here for £779) but it is still the best lower mid-level body out there.

I would first ask the question of if she really wants one. Dont want to sound like a party pooper, but if she isnt into the technical side of things (setting up aperture, shutter speed, ISO, etc) or at least learning about it, then a DSLR could really put her of photography. If shes a point and shoot kind of gal (as my missus is) then the Canon S90 or G11 could be a good way to go. No lenses to change, but you have quite a lot of power over other settings such as ISO, aperture, and shutter speed, so can get most of what you can get with a DSLR but without the hassle if required. What should be noted is that on Auto, a DSLR will take worse shots in most cases than the P&S cameras. This is because a lot of work goes into Auto mode for P&S whereas for DSLR they assume you wont use it. I have seen many times people become disheartened at Auto mode in DSLRs, hence the warning.

Saying that, if she does like the challenge, you cant go wrong with the current crop of Canon or Nikon SLRs, just watch out for that lense lust, its a slippy slope! :thumbs:

Should also be noted that the G1 you are looking at is a Micro Four-Thirds camera, not strictly an SLR, but a new standard. Might be an idea to read up on it a bit so you know what you are getting yourself into ;)

Bottom line is what she will be using the camera for - I mean is she a point and squirt person or does she go manual etc?

If point and squirt why bother with a DSLR just get a compact - got Lucy a Panasonic TZ5 and its great - battery lasts forever the lense is great think a new version it out now.

I always had Pentax cameras but Cannon is the most common and you will get the best price and spec for your money as so many companies sell them, including the electrical online box shifters not just the camera shops? Look at http://www.trustedreviews.com/

Sure the Cannon boys will advise on the best model/spec :thumbs:

A lot of useful information there. Thanks for the advice guys. At the minute she is a point and click person, but she is an up and coming graphic designer and does appreciate a well taken picture.

Ive got a lot to think about and a lot of research to do

Thanks again Woody :thumbs:

I looked at this last month, and decided I'm not ready to carry a load of lenses with me, so I went for the other option and bought a Sony HX1 as it gave better results than the comparable Nikon in the reports I read.

It's a larger compact styled like an SLR with the adjustability of a DSLR i.e. Manual exposer, Aperture priority, shutter speed and full manual mode as well as full auto for point and shoot.

I can play with the expert modes and learn all about the effects with this, if I decide later that I'm going to be more serious at photography then I'd be looking at £1,500 to 2 grand for a full size DSLR setup in a year or so.