Air Bag light flashing problem

Dr.TuB

Hi,

i have performed a search on the forum and found out that one could clear the light with the diagnostic procedure...

however, after putting it into the diagnostic procedure, i still could not take the flashing light off. the light pattern in diagnostic mode was

long pause -> long light -> pause pause -> blink blink

does anyone know what this means?

also, i have brought it into the dealership for service and they ran a computer scan and i copied down what was written

B1052

Driver airbag module (short)

they have hence quoted me the following prices

Airbag Module +Wiring

1080 GBP

and i also have a problem with the horn! it does not make any sounds!!!

is my car okay to drive with the flashing airbag sign? will airbags still deploy?

First off, in the unlikely event you need the drivers airbag, I would hazzard an educated guess and say it wont deploy.

Secondly, I'd get an auto electrician to have a look at it. I beleive that a lot of the electrics in the wheel boss (where the horn and airbag mount) may share a common earth or power. It might just be that they need whipping off and the wires sorting. If you are handy yourself, it can be done DIY to have a look. You will need to disconnect the battery, pump the brake to drain any juice left in the system (so the airbag doesnt know its been disengaged), undo the two Torx nuts on the side of the steerign wheel and you can remove it. Go a google, there are quides on it. If there are any broken connections, post up pics and we may be able to help.

Also give R35LEE a PM, he will have an idea of the problem and also like to have the parts needed to fix it at way less than dealer prices :thumbs:

EDIT: Damn that Lee, hes just too darn quick :lol:

I had the same problem and it was due to a snapped connection on the back of the air bag module. To check it, just undo the 2 torx screws either side of the steering wheel which are hidden behind circular plastic covers (they just pop off). Then gently ease out the center section of the steering wheel. There's enough cable there to turn it around and check the connections. As long as the ignition is off there shouldn't be a need to disconnect the battery.

I would disconnect the battery just to be sure. You can throw the light by leaving it connected (I have before :blush: ). True the light is already on, so you would need to reset it anyway, but I'd rather the airbag had no power to it when I was handling it. Just person preference. ;)

Hi, I had this problem 3 months ago.

Have you been moving the seat/s back and forth ?? (drivers on mine).

The block underneath the seat can work loose.

Mine had previously been fixed !!!!! Three times by the dealer under warranty. :rant:

If it is one of the blocks, tie rap it so it can't open when the seat is moved.

Worth a check,me thinks.

Chris

Under the seats, there are a couple of connector blocks, you cna feel them by reaching underneath the seat...

Disconnect battery and then try to disconnect the connectors and then reattach. (You could undo the 4 seat bolts so you can see what your doing!) and then reattach the battery and if the connectors were loose it should go off (the light that is, not the airbag!!)

But from the code, its more likly to be in the steering wheel like steve said!