The Zed cookbook

Stew

Ok, a random post that can hopefully run for a while.

There are a few keen cooks on here and I thought it'd be a place to share some recipes and post links to online recipes etc.

Don't worry it isn't turning into the WRI, it's just a bit of non car fun. Heck, you might even learn something! Just think of the thanks you'd get if you could impress the inlaws with your culinary skills!

Oh, Martinmac, I'm expecting some good stuff from you in here! ;)

Oh and I know SPAM is a food but it'll be removed from this thread! :p

What do you want guys, some flash food for the dinner part thats easy and can be cooked in advance.

How about a Stilton souffle that can be cooked the day before and is then ready in 12 minutes :)

Savoury aigrettes, make 50 at one go then freeze them. Ready in 6 minutes when you need them.

Or the Nixy curry. Dead easy, get your son to cook it. :lol:

What do you want guys, some flash food for the dinner part thats easy and can be cooked in advance.

How about a Stilton souffle that can be cooked the day before and is then ready in 12 minutes :)

Savoury aigrettes, make 50 at one go then freeze them. Ready in 6 minutes when you need them.

Or the Nixy curry. Dead easy, get your son to cook it. :lol:

Go on Mart - get the recipes up! I want to try and be more adventurous in the kitchen with my cooking! :thumbs:

I remember ages ago (when I was a kid) I read Thrasher Magazine, a skateboard mag, and they had a section on cooking on the go.

I remember a particular one that involved using a car.

Get a steak, cover in mustard, then wrap in tinfoil and wrap around exhaust backbox.

Drive for 15 mins at 40mph and then turn steak, drive for another 15 mins at 40mph.

Stop car, open foil and eat.

***Disclaimer***

Anybody doing this does so on their own risk, BulletMagnet will not be held responsible for any ill effects, because every sane person knows that cooking is to be confined to the kitchen and preferrably done by sprinkles and +1's :lol::lol::lol:

"Chicken and Bacon Melt" AKA "Hunters Chicken"

1 x Chicken breast

3 x Bacon rashers (or more if you want)

Cheese (how much is upto you)

BBQ sauce

(Ideally a oblong bowl just bigger then the breast)

Butterfly the Chicken and flash fry it,

Place afew slices of cheese in the middle, close the breast, wrap bacon rashers around the breast until totally covered,

Place in the oven and leave for around 20-30mins,

When cooked, place in the bowl and fill bowl with BBQ sauce upto halfway up the breast,

Grate alittle cheese and drizzle on top,

And ENJOY, a proper pub meal!

You may want to change that Stew.

Savoury aigrettes are pretty easy.

Nicked the measurements for the pastry as i HAVE MY OWN MEASUREMENTS.

Ingredients for Choux Pastry

water 250ml

butter 125 gm

flour 150 gm

eggs 4

How to make Choux Pastry

1. Melt the butter in the water and bring to a full boil

2. Immediately add the flour all at once and stir continuously with a wooden spoon

3. Cook for a couple of minutes until the mixture pulls away from the pan, forming a ball and remove from the heat

4. Place the dough in the bowl or a mixer, using a wooden spoon or the paddle attachment, mix the dough for a few minutes, allowing it to cool slightly

5. Add the beaten eggs gradually, in three or four additions, mixing the dough until it is smooth each time. Scrape down the sides and bottom of the bowl until all of the eggs are incorporated

I would avoid using a mixer as cleaning will be a pain. Make sure the mix has really cooled before putting in the eggs or they will scramble.

The resulting mix will be pretty gooey but dont worry. Add grated cheese and chpped ham ( plus paprika if desired).

Get your deep fat fryer ready. Depending how quick you are fry 4 to 6 at a time. Take two teaspoons. pick up a spoonful of mixture and run the other spoon underneath to form a quinnell, an egg shaped block to us.

Carefully drop it in the hot fat. When it is lightly coloured remove the batch to kitchen roll. Continue until all the mnixture is cooked.

Put a dozen or so pieces in a lightly oiled freezer bag and freeze or put in the fridge to be used.

When you want them then fry until golden and serve with garlic mayo and a small side salad. Yummy. :)

Quick pork topping - A quick favourite for myself and Jayne(who is a good cook, I just pretend) is to mix some philli with wholegrain mustard and grated cheese. This can then go on top of a pork chop or chicken. It's really tasty.

Steak pie - I make a mean steak pie. Basically I take some semi decent steak and put it in a pan to brown with some guiness, a good spoon of bovril and chopped onion. Let it brown and leave it on a low heat for a couple of hours topping up with guiness mixed with gravy. You can then chuck in some veggies if you want. Stick it in a dish and top with pastry (cheating I know...) and lob in the over. That makes a really tender and meaty steak and ale pie.

I might even share Jaynes cake recipes if there are requests!

I use this one with rings of black pudding or grilled salmon fillets but have a go with checken or anything you fancy.

Melt two tablespoons of butter in a pan without colouring. Put in two good teaspoons of fennel seeds. Leave to stand for a couple of hours to soften the seeds.

Finely cut up 4 medium leeks having washed them. Heat the butter and sweat down the leek. When it is soft ensure all the rings have broken up. Add a chicken or veg stock cube and as much cream as you fancy. Ensure the contents of the pan have again heated and place on a plate. Put the black pudding or salmon etc on top. :)

Crispy seaweed.

Take one head of spring greens, wash and dry.

Remove hard vein from each leaf and stack. Roll up very tight and hold.

Shave of thin slivers with a sharp knife.

Put the slivers of cabbage in the deep fat fryer for about 10 secs, remove and put on kitchen roll. Srpinkle with sugar and crushed peanuts.