HELLO ALL!

neo-ninja

HI All,

Im new here, but i just wanted to ask a few questions.

Basically im only 24 and have been looking into getting a 350z, there seem to be quite a few in my rice range from 11k-12k, Gt spec, with around 40-55k miles on the clock, so wooohoo!

My bro had a 350z and annoyingly sold for a tiny amount of money in the slump about 6 months ago, as he had to get a family car. However i have always fancied one so am starting to look into getting my own.

But recently i have become terrified about huge costs of them after about 40k miles, i have seen several posts on this forum and on other sites of clutches regularly going, gearboxes going , and other bits going, although they seem relativly cheap to fix - £500 here and there, together they seem like alot of money to start shelling out.... so what i am wondering is am i just reading the posts of poor sods who have bad cars (you always get those od duff cars!), or am i reading posts that are completely normal with this type of car....

Any help would be greatly apprecitated!

Many thanks!

Neo

Hi and welcome to the forum. The prices of the cars have now stabilised and in fact are now going up so no probs there.

The cars are pretty good really. The clutch will last pretty well depending on how you drive the car. Engines and gearboxes are very reliable if looked after.

In my opinion the biggest cost of ownership is the range of affordable mods you can do.

The traders on here keep our costs down and pretty much anything is available which saves us having to pay Nissan prices. :)

Hi Neo & :welcome: to the forum. I don't think a clutch going is anything more than normal for any car, obviously depends on the driver and age. A gear box going again is rare & might have issues related to that particular car. I know there is a least one car that has done 100k and is still going strong. Others have had high mileage cars (see posts by Sunset350Z) and have had no major problems. You may need to question whether the running costs of a Zed will be a problem to yourself before committing to buying.

I've had 2 relatively high mileage cars 80,000 miles +, and never had a major issue with them. They are pretty bulletproof cars and as long as they have a good service history will go on indefinitely.

Also, being on this forum will save you an arm and a leg if something does go wrong with your zed. Main dealers do charge extortionate prices for parts, but the traders on here are a godsend. :thumbs: It'll cost you more to run an evo or a subaru if you do a lot of miles.

hi all thanks for that, by the sounds of it then, as long as i get a looked after well serviced car i should be ok.

i only do about 5k-8k miles a year, so running costs will be very low for me which is great, although a huge jump from the Smart roadster lol!

What i dont understand however is also, if i want a gt version am i looking at £400 a year tax? as some sites seem to say its £250

The tax will depend on the year. I have a 53 plate and my tax for the year has just come in at £190 for the year. Anything after March 06 (??) will be in the new higher tax. If you are looking at imports it will depend on when the car was registered in the Uk for road tax purposes. :thumbs: