possible scam;

andlid

Hi lads,

Think I've stumbled upon a car sale scam. To keep it short and sweet:

1, person lived in EIRE now moved back to the UK with a 2002 Z that's still EIRE reg.

2, Selling now in UK to EIRE for 3.5k

3, going to use 'ebay' as a middle man.

This stinks scam and just want to know what to do next?

:snack:

Simple way to find out is ask how they want paying, if its moneygram or somthing like that then walk away, also ask if you can see the car... would you be collecting it?

But at the end of the day 3.5K sounds well cheap for the car so if theres no reason for it to be that cheap then yes, its a scam.

A friend of mine sent 3k via moneygram to buy a car from a private sale three years ago.... he's still wating for the car. :thumbdown:

My 1st mail to the add:

Hi is this car still available? Is it really 3.5k?

Then Yer woman's answer:

Hi there,

The car is still available for the price of 3500 euro.

The car is in excellent overall condition, never involved in an accident. The car is still Irish registered, no finance owing, no scratches, no water damage, always garaged and serviced. Full service history available.

I worked in Ireland for 2 years and the company I worked for was dissolved and I had to move back to UK.

Get back to me if you need more info on the vehicle.

Scammer

Then my mail

Cheers Chloe,

What is the reg nr for the car? Where can I have a look at the car?

Then her answer

Hello,

Since I have a written contract with eBay they will handle this sale for me and they will act as a third party between us.

I can give you more details to proceed with this deal as I'm looking for a fast sale.

If you are a serious buyer I will explain the entire procedure regarding payment and shipping. I also hope that the car being in UK is not a major inconvenience for you. I know that at this price I will find a buyer in no time, so this isn't a major inconvenience for me.

Regards,

scammer

Then me again

Hello,

why are we talking about Ebay? is the car advertised on ebay too? I was looking at this car on carzone, it's no longer there? (why is that?) I never understood the car is in the UK. Please explain the process and we can take it from there. Can I also have the history of the car and some more photos would be good. Can you manage to give me the reg number and chassi number please?

cheers

Then her again

Hi ,

The car was listed on carzone, because I am in UK I'm using eBay safe trade procedure for this transaction. I attached some pics with the car in this email. The car is no longer listed because I have posted my add on carzone from UK and they don't accept that kind of posting.

As previously stated, I suggest using the security provided by eBay. I will cover the escrow fees. Since I presume you are not familiar with the escrow procedure, I have briefly described the transaction steps below:

1. Buyer, seller reach an agreement (price and delivery conditions).

2. Buyer sends money to eBay.

3. eBay confirms to seller that the amount has been received.

4. Seller performs the required services (shipping, insurance) via escrow.

5. Buyer receives the goods.

6. If the goods comply with buyer's conditions, eBay releases the money to seller.

As you can see, you will receive the car BEFORE any money is released to me. You will get the chance to inspect it, test drive it and everything you like while your money is still safely held in eBay account. ONLY after you confirm to eBay that you agree with the vehicle, they will release the money to me.

If, for some reason, you disagree with the car (I assure you that is NOT going to happen since my car is in IMMACULATE condition inside and out) it will be shipped back to me on MY EXPENSE and eBay will send you your money back.

If you wish to proceed further, I will need your complete name and address and also a phone number so I can set up the transaction.

Let me know if we can get things moving.

Scammer

NOTE: got photos of the car (nice looking) and then also reg nr. I can see from the reg plate it's

a JDM import...

Current standing: I'm not sure what to do...

willing to part with 3.5k without getting anything is = 0

:snack:

Just to clarifly i agree with sunset350z, its a scam, its too cheap and she wont give you the reg number or chassi number...

however eBay DO use Escrow, in fact they recommend it for high value items!

but it must be eBay's approved escrow service (www.escrow.com), she will probably want to use a different, fake escrow service.... thats the scam.

Its 'Western Union' and 'MoneyGram' that you should NEVER use on ebay.

check out this link for more info: http://cgi6.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll ... ing=escrow

Right think it was a 100.5% scam, after sending these two mails (3 days ago)

:1

Hi ,

I suggest we do the following:

* I've got a good few friends scattered around UK that has offered to go and see the car for me first before we start moving monies around. Where in the UK are you based? (more importanlty where is the car for viewing?)

* After my friend has had a good look at the car and test drive I will fly over to the UK and have a final look at the car myself. I will arrange for an AA check of the vechile at the same time (if thats ok with yourself) and then we can sign the deal in the UK and I can drive the car back to EIRE.

Please let me know what you think about above idea. Even if the friends I have over in the UK are to far away from you I'm sure we can go with step 2 direclty.

Looking forward hearing from you.

Kind Regards

:2

Sorry for spam here ,

maybe you can answer these Q's too that I'm waiting an answer to:

When did you purschase this car? (how long circa have you had it for)

Is the car currently due an NCT? (or when is it due)

Is the car taxed in EIRE at the moment? (if not when did it expire, circa)

Whas this car ever imported into Ireland? (if so from what country?)

Cheers

Guess thats that! :drunk: