OEM sat nav and aftermarket head unit

cookycop

I am sure its me but I have looked through the forums for a couple of hours and still cant find a definitive answer to whether the UK OEM sat nav can be connected to an aftermarket head unit so that the directions can still be heard through the speakers? (mine is 2006 UK GT with bose and birdview). If so any specific head units (looking to get complete ipod control and MP3/WMA capability) that will work or features to look for, or maybe extra cables required (other than the 'normal' ones that are used to connect new HU). If not, anyone know the reason why, just out of curiosity?

cheers to anyone who might know....

I am sure its me but I have looked through the forums for a couple of hours and still cant find a definitive answer to whether the UK OEM sat nav can be connected to an aftermarket head unit so that the directions can still be heard through the speakers? (mine is 2006 UK GT with bose and birdview). If so any specific head units (looking to get complete ipod control and MP3/WMA capability) that will work or features to look for, or maybe extra cables required (other than the 'normal' ones that are used to connect new HU). If not, anyone know the reason why, just out of curiosity?

cheers to anyone who might know....

I think Nurrish is the guy to ask on this :wacko:

Hi again,

Been through this one as well.

Got shut of bose unit and low and behold satnav went dumb. Had to have interface box taken from bose unit and connected to new Alpine head unit to make it speak again.

I may be wrong, but take it to someone who knows what they are doing. (not for the novice) :dry:

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

As promised some pics. Tried to combine the photos. Dont know how to send bigger shots. (dummy need help, if anyone can explain how) :blush:

As you can see the IPOD sits in a nice draw out of sight, but neat as I'm sure you'll agree. The head unit is mounted in the bottom slot, so it doesn't cover the Satnav screen. The Head unit screen is touch sensitive and all the Ipod control is done from there, easy and not distractin :teeth: (saves faffin while you're on the move).

If you PM me your email I can send some more shots.

regards