Private plate help...

marzman

Hey guys,

I've got a quick question that someone might be able to help me with...

I bought an '88 Mazda RX7 recently and its got a standard plate, although its 6 characters and dateless - so you could consider it a private reg on a modern car.

My question is.. could i transfer that to my zed, and have another standard plate issued for my rx7? Basically bagging myself a free private plate??

Any thoughts?

Cheers

Chris.

So long as the plate doesnt make the Zed look newer than it actually is I cant see a problem with it.

Although not sure if you could get "another" plate issued for the Rex. You'd likely need to supply a new private reg for the Rex and put the current one on retainer before tranfering it to the Zed.

Your local DVLA office would be able to answer better if you gave them a quick ring.

The original registration plate which was on the RX from new will more than likely be parked with the DVLA, so that would be reissued if you move the plate to another car.

Just that you will be paying two transfers, a transfer fee from the RX so that it gets issued with another plate, and a transfer fee for your Z to take the new plate and they will then park the number you currently have on the Z.

Just not sure if these keep these original plates to one side pending a re-transfer or if they can then sell them. But I wouldn't imagine they can sell them, as you still own that number...

I got my girlfriend a plate as a present which started L33 as her name is Lee and I am almost certain they parked the SD03 number plate which her Clio already had.

The original registration plate which was on the RX from new will more than likely be parked with the DVLA, so that would be reissued if you move the plate to another car.

Just that you will be paying two transfers, a transfer fee from the RX so that it gets issued with another plate, and a transfer fee for your Z to take the new plate and they will then park the number you currently have on the Z.

Just not sure if these keep these original plates to one side pending a re-transfer or if they can then sell them. But I wouldn't imagine they can sell them, as you still own that number...

I got my girlfriend a plate as a present which started L33 as her name is Lee and I am almost certain they parked the SD03 number plate which her Clio already had.

I've just been reading on the dvla website, and i think you need to pay to keep your current reg on retention... and also pay to transfer from one car to another.

The crucial issues now are if my rex plate is listed as non-transferable, then i cant transfer it obviously... and how do i get a new plate for the rex.

its £105 to have the plate put on retention but then you dont have to pay any more to assign it to a car. Or its £80 to transfer plate from car to car. Done it so many times and its cost me a fortune :rant:

Oi quiet you... back to the fiat forum.

Yeh i've just phoned the dvla and they said the same... and they'll re-register my rex as part of that...

So have I got this right, I buy a new car and part of the cost of buying a new car is registration so I own the number plate that car comes with, is this right?

Ok, so I buy another number plate off either a private dealer or the DVLA themselves and pay and extra £80 to have this transferred to my car.

If I didn't pay the extra £28 the DVLA could then resell my original registration plate?

How can they sell what doesn't belong to them? With a new car I was under the impression you can pay extra to get the letters you wanted. So I could pay extra when I buy a new car and have ??59 MAX. But then I decide a year or two down the road that MAX 1 comes up for sale at a bargain price, I buy it and pay £80 to transfer and unless I pay extra the DVLA can go ahead and sell my xx59 MAX plate???

Or have I picked this up wrong?

This sounds like I drive my car down to the local showroom, buy a new car and leave my car sitting in the car park until I arrange for it to be uplifted and the garage can go ahead and sell it because I never paid a parking fee :byebye:

So have I got this right, I buy a new car and part of the cost of buying a new car is registration so I own the number plate that car comes with, is this right?

Ok, so I buy another number plate off either a private dealer or the DVLA themselves and pay and extra £80 to have this transferred to my car.

If I didn't pay the extra £28 the DVLA could then resell my original registration plate?

How can they sell what doesn't belong to them? With a new car I was under the impression you can pay extra to get the letters you wanted. So I could pay extra when I buy a new car and have ??59 MAX. But then I decide a year or two down the road that MAX 1 comes up for sale at a bargain price, I buy it and pay £80 to transfer and unless I pay extra the DVLA can go ahead and sell my xx59 MAX plate???

Or have I picked this up wrong?

This sounds like I drive my car down to the local showroom, buy a new car and leave my car sitting in the car park until I arrange for it to be uplifted and the garage can go ahead and sell it because I never paid a parking fee :byebye:

That sounds about right... although i think it is fair, or else registrations would never become available again.. people would hold onto them forever! But i can see both points of view.

its £105 to have the plate put on retention but then you dont have to pay any more to assign it to a car. Or its £80 to transfer plate from car to car. Done it so many times and its cost me a fortune :rant:

Oi quiet you... back to the fiat forum .

:lol::lol::lol: suprised your not on the range rover forum already :drive1