bolt sheared on rocker cover. NOW SORTED

Husky

guys n gals, big problem.

i was changing the spark plugs and got through 3 of them. on the fourth one the bolt attaching the coil pack to the rocker cover sheared, there is a tiny nub sitting proud of the rocker cover. tried cutting a slot into it with a dremel and using a screwdriver but it didnt do it, the metal just sheared. anyone got any ideas how i sort it?

or anyone got any bright ideas or equipment to get the bolt out? tried drilling it out using the dremel drill bit but it didnt cut the mustard.

Usual option would be to drill it out and then re tap it. Sounds like you need a drill wiu more oomph. And a proper metal cutting drill bit.

Option to is to weld something to the stump and use that to remove it. But this method is partically dodgy if your crap at welding as you dint want to weld the outside of the rocker cover to the stump of bolt.

You may have drilled out to much by now but drilling a hole in the center and using an easy out should work okay. If you can't get up close and intimate then remove the cover and do it on the bench. If you **** up don't worry as I have spare covers.

The hole depth is exactly 15mm.

You may have drilled out to much by now but drilling a hole in the center and using an easy out should work okay. If you can't get up close and intimate then remove the cover and do it on the bench. If you **** up don't worry as I have spare covers.

The hole depth is exactly 15mm.

you have a pm :thumbs:

is there enough bolt sticking out of the top to get some vice grip pliers onto it. if you can get them locker on they should get it out coz it shouldnt be really tight.

if not if there is a ridge in the top or where you have cut the groove try tapping the bolt around using a screw driver but a centre punch would be better if you had one.

although easy outs should work failing everything else.

or you can drill down the bolt just smaller than the diameter of the bolt and it will come out easy then

hope that helps

and hope you get it sorted

is there enough bolt sticking out of the top to get some vice grip pliers onto it. if you can get them locker on they should get it out coz it shouldnt be really tight.

if not if there is a ridge in the top or where you have cut the groove try tapping the bolt around using a screw driver but a centre punch would be better if you had one.

although easy outs should work failing everything else.

or you can drill down the bolt just smaller than the diameter of the bolt and it will come out easy then

hope that helps

and hope you get it sorted

cheers for the tips but unfortunatley

only about a thread showing on the top, not enough for grips, tried

tried with the screwdriver, doesnt budge and it will damage the brass insert it sits in.

dont have any easy outs.

tried drilling it, would need a manlier drill and bits which i dont have in england with me :thumbdown:

so before i did any more damage to the car i decided just to order a new cover from alex :thumbs:

started at 6.30, finished 15 mins ago had some beers and its finally over. :yawn:

the rocker cover is changed, what a beasting job. my mate rob stuck it out with me with only a bedside lamp to work under. good man :thumbs:

1 bolt managed to dissapear into the ether but i will have a hunt for it in the morning, it was too dark and we were too tired to find it even after ages of searching.

but all in i would class it as a success, it has to be the most work and most expensive spark plug change ever!