Grinding front end on right turn - wheel bearing ?

Tonser

Hi

I took delivery of my 54 GT yesterday, and all is good :D

However one thing I have noticed is a grinding noise when going round a tight corner slowly on full (or near full) lock, coming from the front drivers side. Sounds very much like the disc backing plate is catching on the disc at full lock - could that be possible ?

Cheers for any advice

Tony

Thanks Zmanalex - I was wondering that. Though it only happens when you get towards full lock, and it doesnt grind through a full wheel rotation - more like something is catching at one or 2 points through the 360 degrees.

I'm hoping to get a chance to look at it this afternoon.

Cheers

Tony

If something is catching, then you will easily see it once underneath. :thumbs:

Thanks Zmanalex - I was wondering that. Though it only happens when you get towards full lock, and it doesnt grind through a full wheel rotation - more like something is catching at one or 2 points through the 360 degrees.

I'm hoping to get a chance to look at it this afternoon.

Cheers

Tony

Hey,

I'm actually having the exact same problem ... I hadn't noticed it before but it's become more apparent since I've had my car back from the bodyshop ...

I've had a quick look around under the arches and couldn't see any obvious areas it was catching on ...

It'd be interesting to find out if you do find a cause/solution ...

Well I had the front wheels off today to try to work out what's going on. I couldn't see any obvious signs of something catching, but there was quite a build up of flaky rust around the back edge of the discs. I scraped them both down to clean them up, and checked the pads, which have about 6mm left on them each. There were no signs of uneven wear.

One thing I noticed was that the drivers side disc fell away from the hub as soon as I had the wheel off whereas the pass side wouldnt come off the hub - are they only held on by the wheel nuts ?

When i put it all back together the drivers side disc still had a slight scraping noise when i just spun it, but only at one point through the rotation. I took it for a spin and the problem is still there. It's worse if you push hard into a right hand corner, and it's fine on left hand corner. It seems the more you load the front drivers side through a right handed the more it rubs.

Anyone any suggestions?

Thanks, tony

Well I had the front wheels off today to try to work out what's going on. I couldn't see any obvious signs of something catching, but there was quite a build up of flaky rust around the back edge of the discs. I scraped them both down to clean them up, and checked the pads, which have about 6mm left on them each. There were no signs of uneven wear.

One thing I noticed was that the drivers side disc fell away from the hub as soon as I had the wheel off whereas the pass side wouldnt come off the hub - are they only held on by the wheel nuts ?

When i put it all back together the drivers side disc still had a slight scraping noise when i just spun it, but only at one point through the rotation. I took it for a spin and the problem is still there. It's worse if you push hard into a right hand corner, and it's fine on left hand corner. It seems the more you load the front drivers side through a right handed the more it rubs.

Anyone any suggestions?

Thanks, tony

Did you check your wheel bearings for wear when you had it jacked up ?

Nope :blush: But realised that I should have done ! I'll jack it up tomorrow and check for any play on the wheel.

I wouldnt have thought it was bearings as there is no vibration at all, just the scraping noise when turning right. That said would a dodgy bearing cause the disc to be unstable under different loads (ie turning right) ?

I'll report back tomorrow

Cheers

Tony

All sorted :yahoo:

It was as I first thought, the disc backing plate was right up against the inside lip on the back of the disc, with only a marginal clearance. The cornering force must have been pushing them together. So it was simple as levering it away from the disc a tad :D

Thanks you your help.

Tony