Learn how to tune?

andlid

Missed one of these in May this year :

http://www.efi101.com/efi101.html

,wondering know if anyone here has done one and if it would be worth REALLY trying to attend one? The class her dropped out due to this recession yoke... :yawn:

Read this review and that's what made me start thinking about it again:

http://zilvia.net/f/chat/132481-went-ef ... -pics.html

It would be both cool and 'better' to do your own tunes instead of handing it over to a tuner, not to disrespect for anyone in the field but I have a lifetime to get the correct tune instead of trying to make a business out of it so time is on my side (not experience). Hmm hope that came out right...

(if not I apologize in advance and blame English not being my first language :dance: )

:bounce:

Do you own a rolling road? or have easy access to one?

You can do on the road mapping you know, and arguably its better than on the rollers. A lot of the MLR boys map theirs on the road with the opensource software you can get to map Evos. Seen some amazing results, proven by proper dyno measurements.

Personally I wouldnt map it myself though, I dont know what I'm doing.

Do you own a rolling road? or have easy access to one?

You can do on the road mapping you know, and arguably its better than on the rollers. A lot of the MLR boys map theirs on the road with the opensource software you can get to map Evos. Seen some amazing results, proven by proper dyno measurements.

Personally I wouldnt map it myself though, I dont know what I'm doing.

Thats why I want to do the EFI course since I've seen the ECU software... and I'd be afraid of breaking something. And no don't own a rolling road... on the road mapping would be the way and then prove it at a later stage.

B)

Where would you do it? Seems like a decent thing to learn, and if there are good writeups of it then go for it :)

was one planned here in may but got cancelled, then i think i saw one over in the uk, might go accross the water the next time if they publish more dates. would say 10 peps from here be interested?

Tuning really isn't that difficult at all, as all you're doing really is adding/removing fuel where necessary to maintain the correct AFR and then advancing/retarding the timing to make the power you want. Obviously there's more to it when you start playing with cam timing and valve overlap, but that's the basics. I'm not sure what a course like that would really give you other than a chance to get a bit hands-on with an engine that isn't yours and the lack of worry that comes with it, but I know a few people now who have tuned their own car (using either a PFC or an EM) and had great success with it. It's something I'd consider trying in the future if I manage to find the spare time.