My van tried to kill me this morning!

stanski

My VW transporter tried to finish me off this morning! Just coming off the slip road next to work and the engine just revved the ar** off all by itself!! :scare:

Sh**!! I thought :surrender: Quick thinking I put my foot under the accelerator pedal and it slowed down .......phew! Parked up and had a quick shuftie but not obvious how the cable runs to the engine (not a diesel expert!) manual is at home of course - so had to post up a request on my van forum (yup I am a forum tart!) for diagram of the setup

Probably a stuck cable, broken return spring or something loose - I dunno - but I do have a 70 mile journey back home tonight - that will be fun! :blackeye:

Have to bring the Zed out of its lumber this week - first week its resting!

Yeah thanks guys - but its a 1.9TD not even TDI - takes a while to wind up before the spring releases and moves the wheels! :blush: (Yes a Van forum I know but its been useful)

Now I have to track down some WD 40 and pray thats all it needs - worse case its a bit of string attached to the engine throttle linkage - who needs cruise controls on steering wheels! :lol:

Oh well lets see what I can fanangle at lunch time - eeh brings back memories of the classic cars I had when I used to fix stuff on the fly the whole time - thank goodness I got into Jap cars :D

Sounds very dodgy Stan, if you need an expert drop me a pm and I will give you a mobile number ;)

Thanks Mart - its either a broken return spring or gunged up stiff cable in the housing - will know more at lunch - there is a Euro Car Parts up the road fortunately and I managed to get a diagram of the pedal cluster set up - but cant see any springs anywhere on it??? :surrender:

Appreciate the help :thumbs:

The obvious answer is that the van is jealous of the Zed and thought to itself "Right, I'm gonna show him!" and proceeded to rev like mad, but unfortunately broke itself doing so.

Moral of the story: Jealousy gets you nowhere and leaves you brokenhearted...

The obvious answer is that the van is jealous of the Zed and thought to itself "Right, I'm gonna show him!" and proceeded to rev like mad, but unfortunately broke itself doing so.

Moral of the story: Jealousy gets you nowhere and leaves you brokenhearted...

Think your right mate! I would'nt mind but its been getting some attention recently - I did an oil change service on it myself - it got a wash and its been getting used more! Nipped out at lunch - looks like cable is either very stretched or stretching - got some WD 40 and sprayed everything to help it along but will try to bend or adjust it a little to take up slack - well hopefully enough to get me home (not good when I am in my suit though!!) :thumbdown:

After discovering my breakdown cover does'nt cover vans!!............... :boxing:

Anyway spent an hour in the works car park and found the problem - the cable had frayed and was left on 2 threads - I figured out how to remove the cable - cut back the plastic a bit and cut the end off that was about to fall off! Got 2x terminal block connectors - with some wire between and screwed them up with the 2 ends of cable - this made up the missing frayed wire - after a bit of trial and error adjustments I got it working enough to move the old boy!

Soon as I got on the m56 - 1 hour jam at Chester Services - :angry: Finally got home - engine was over reving again but at least its £18 for a new cable and hopefully thats that! Job for the weekend

So thanks for the offers of help and advice folks - back in the Zed tomorrow...... :)