New Guy!

Hey people, im off to Southampton tomorrow to pick my import 350z.

I've read as much as I can in regards to the differences with imports and common problems that I may experience.

I went there 3 weeks ago to test drive and choose 1 out of their 18 350z's. The 3 I picked to test drive were all 2003 models, but very low mileage, one had 16k on the clock, another had 19k and one had 29k.

The 16k one was THRASHED, wheel bearing had gone after 16k, clutch was screwed and gearbox was crunchy between 1st > 2nd and 5th > 6th.

I ended up picking the 29k one as it was in the best condition.

Ive looked for all I could before placing the deposit like clicky rear axle, rust, gear change problems.

Its the first time ive ever driven a V6, after comming from backgrounds such as the S2000 (which nearly killed me, seriously), celica GT4, Evo 6 (current car and part ex for the 350) im not used to the smooth V6 and got hooked straight away.

Cant wait!

Is there anything else I need to look out for when I pick the car up? They have already said they dont service it unless asked to which costs more, so my car is fresh from Japan unserviced. What should I do in regards to the cambelt and servicing?

I would like to get the whole alot done straight away but I cannot afford it after just buying the car. Comes with 1 month warranty, im thinking about purchasing more.

:welcome: and dont worry it doesnt have a cambelt, its chain driven :thumbs:

Enjoy picking it up, I got mine a few weeks back and it was seriously one of the best days of my life :teeth:

I'm sure some of the other guys will be along shortly to advise on servicing etc...

Chain driven, awesome, my s2k was chain driven, big weight off of your mind.

This just keeps getting better!

Another thing I was worried about was the speed difference between my 300bhp evo 6 and the 350z.

As far as I can see the 350z cant hold a candle to the evo6 0-60. But the midrange and highrange on the 350 appears to be alot better (with alot less clutches on fire...)

Another thing I was worried about was the speed difference between my 300bhp evo 6 and the 350z.

As far as I can see the 350z cant hold a candle to the evo6 0-60. But the midrange and highrange on the 350 appears to be alot better (with alot less clutches on fire...)

Look at this way - the EVO is an extremely capable car, but it largely drives you and you hang on. But with the ZED it is down to the driver to exploit its full capabilities and you will soon find that once you are in tune with it, that is just why we all go around with a :D on our face. Having had a couple of Scoobys a while back they were great fun and so rapid in wet conditions but AWD does disguise the driver imput to make you feel a little more of a passenger - hope that makes sense :)

I was in a similar situation as I had previously had a 350bhp 200sx which was seriously fast... but I can honestly say I wasnt dissapointed when I got the zed.

Ok it is slower but in my opinion this is a totally different class of car, the driving position, the cabin, the styling of the thing and the roar of the V6 all add up to a truly awesome driving experience.

You will love it :thumbs:

:welcome:

you will find that low mileage import zeds have usually been really well maintained by the owner in japan. Mine is a 2003 and had less than 5k on it when i got it two years ago and was like new. Having said that I used a reputable importer who only imports grade 4.5 or above. Mine came with jap service book and although it made very little sense it was all dated. It had a basic oil and filter change at Envy on arrival with the importer and then later on I started getting the UK service history stamped in a UK book more locally. Don't think you'll be disappointed. :thumbs:

Welcome and enjoy.

For anybody else, for you info about imported Zeds, it's worth reading the issue of Redline that's currently out.

Not only has it got bundus Zed in it, but also the latest tips for buying an imported car from Japan.

Laws have changed recently and there are some pretty tasty cars to be had imo.

Thankyou for the support, very friendly forum compared to others I have experienced.

Picked the car up, found one or 2 problems with the car that need sorting:

1. Its throwing a CEL because one of the lambda sensors is failing, error says Bank 2 Sensor 1 but I have no idea what one it is. I know theres 3, im thinking its the one where both exhaust pipes meet if it says bank 2 but maybe someone can help me out on that one.

2. Its got that rear axle clicking thing going on, ive heard its not dangerous just annoying. Will get that sorted as I have seen the kits available to sort this on this forum.

Will post piccys when I have a chance to get them off of the mrs'es phone.

Your all right about me enjoying it, the car feels amazing to drive, did 150 miles back from Southampton yesterday and didnt notice at all. Did it all on 1/4 of a tank too. Also the rear end is very well planted, doesnt even feel like its RWD which was one of the things I was scared of.

Also another thing im confused about, I read here that imports come with a 40 litre tank, mines got a 70?!

Thankyou for the support, very friendly forum compared to others I have experienced.

Picked the car up, found one or 2 problems with the car that need sorting:

1. Its throwing a CEL because one of the lambda sensors is failing, error says Bank 2 Sensor 1 but I have no idea what one it is. I know theres 3, im thinking its the one where both exhaust pipes meet if it says bank 2 but maybe someone can help me out on that one.

2. Its got that rear axle clicking thing going on, ive heard its not dangerous just annoying. Will get that sorted as I have seen the kits available to sort this on this forum.

Will post piccys when I have a chance to get them off of the mrs'es phone.

Your all right about me enjoying it, the car feels amazing to drive, did 150 miles back from Southampton yesterday and didnt notice at all. Did it all on 1/4 of a tank too. Also the rear end is very well planted, doesnt even feel like its RWD which was one of the things I was scared of.

Also another thing im confused about, I read here that imports come with a 40 litre tank, mines got a 70?!

ZMANALEX is the man for the axle kit.

Imports don't have a 40 litre tank. It's 10 litres less than the UK model which is either 80 or 90 litres.... I can't remember! :blush: