Step Up!

Boys and Girls!

The time has come for a new car, and that car needs to be a 350Z!

Technically I'm cheating here as I don't own one 'yet' but will be getting one, with the target being a 2006 facelift GT in blue or black.... maybe even gunmetal.

Now this is where you guys come in, what kind of costs am I going to need to prepare myself for? Asides from insurance and that s**ding £400 a year tax, what kind of average repairs are going to pop up on that kind of spec Z? I'm hoping as a Japenese car she'll run for ever and ever, however I will be driving it like I stole it from time to time so I suspect it wont be that forgiving on the bank balance.

Any help appreciated as I need to know how many kidneys to sell.

Weasel

Petrol money!

Nothing much goes wrong but you get the odd component failure. Tyres can be a big expense too.

Mods money too as not many people that hang around here have unmodified cars now!

I'm not much in for modding (he says now) as I have a VR6 Storm at the moment and just love stock cars.... go figure. Tyres are how much? And Nissan have been a bit shakey on giving exact prices for services and intervals (I suspect as I wasn't looking to buy one from them).

How long before the brakes need doing as I've heard they're a bit steep.

I'm not much in for modding (he says now) as I have a VR6 Storm at the moment and just love stock cars.... go figure. Tyres are how much? And Nissan have been a bit shakey on giving exact prices for services and intervals (I suspect as I wasn't looking to buy one from them).

How long before the brakes need doing as I've heard they're a bit steep.

Stock is good!

Tyres can be up to 800quid for standard sizes depending what you want done.

Service interval is 9k miles or 12 months.

Brakes last well (20-30k miles) and will be MEGA expensive from the dealers - 1200 quid... half that from a trader on here!

£800 for all 4 isn't so scary..... he says.

It's proving a pain in the arse finding the right one. I've got 14 to 15k to play with and don't want over 25,ooo miles really. when I was getting the cash together there were bloody louds in that bracket, and since I got the cash? All sold.

Is the 2006 on the level with a GT4 (apart from the wheels) or should I stick with the newer model. I want one that I can have a lot of fun in for little in the way of repairs (for the first two years anyway) so I can just get on with enjoying it without crying over finances.

What are the big worries I should be looking/listening out for?

Hi and :welcome: to the forum.

Running costs depends on how lucky or unlucky you are.

There are electrical components on the 350Z that are mega expensive like ECU, BCM, ABS Module etc.etc. There is no maintenance on these components so it is really down to luck.

Overall, these components aside, the running costs of the Z are very reasonable.

Low mileage with verified service history and no previous panel or paint work is a good start.

aswell as the big 2 AT and PH i hunted through every single individual website in the UK i think i got to google page 100, its just meaningless by then :LOL although my car i found on a backwater autotrader style thing on page 70ish

Welcome to the forum. Be patient, as the right Zed will pop up. :D

They stand up pretty well even completely stock, with a tiny bit of brake fade on stock pads, rotors and brake fluid on the track if you are into tracking at all.

Can I also just confirm that the 2006 296bhp facelift had the orange inserts at the front and the traditional long numberplate on the back? I've seen a few with those markers advertised as 2005 models and am a bit confused. I really wanted the newer 296bhp as apposed to the 287bhp and don't want to get caught out.