Whistle stop - Loire Valley French hols -pic heavy

stanski

Hi folks as previously threatened , a few pics from our France hols last week in the Loire Valley :D

I've reduced the 800+ pictures to just these fortunately for you! :lol:

We had a fab time, booked overnight at Travel lodge in Ashford (thanks Mart) then on the ferry next day at Dover to Calais and straight to Gite. (same kind of thing on way home - it was a 4-6 hour drive in France!)

T'was mid 30's most of the time, driving over there was effortless, excellent roads (a lot have been redone recently) and other than driving on the outskirts of Paris at 5pm no dramas! Those tunnels they have are just full of crazy nutters! :scare:

Everywhere was clean and of course the Zed was superb never missed a beat and no backache a truly superb long distance cruiser. We had the roof up mostly in the middle of the day it was that hot :sun:

One sore point was a stupid underground multistory carpark in Tours, where the ramps where so steep even a Landy would have got beached on them - bottomed the Zed on every ramp (3 down and 3 back up) You should have smelt the clutch as I tried to crawl back gently over it :blackeye: Yet to check underside what the damage is - nothing rattling though thank goodness!

We stayed at a great looking Gite in a place called Montrichard - its was run by a retired French couple - very nice people, but we could'nt speak much French an they could'nt speak much English but that was'nt too much of an issue! :doh:

This part of France has more Chateau's than anywhere else I think! We would deffo recommend Villandrey and Chambord as the best! Dont bother going to Tours - its just a modern concrete lined nowhere city really - could be Milton Keynes by a river! :bangin:

Do go to Vendome, nice little place ,Chinon and Lavardin

Other than getting somewhere fast avoid the tolls roads - go on the A roads they are as good and much more scenic :)

We loved the food obviously - but being self catering we kept the costs down , by popping in the local supermarkets Super U, Auchan, InterMarche etc and they generally have 24 hours unmanned petrol stations now - so no need to panic like I did when we had less than 1/4 tank left and the market near us did'nt accept any of mine or Lucy's cards - bit of a worry for a 3.5 L V6 in the middle of nowhere!!! :surrender: Found another one nearby thank goodness!

Other than food the prices were fairly expensive in fact most stuff is cheaper over here now?

We used the Tardis storage faciliy that the softtop has over the coupe - wow you can fit loads in there! Talk about a stealth booze cruise vehicle :lol:

Ramps on the ferries were fine but why do people get into a panic and fire up their engines soon as they get back in their cars - just gassing everyone else out! Donkeys! :angry:

Chambord Chateau

smioVjWuIo.jpg

Ru7kvWoFIy.jpg

isqhAMyTH8.jpg

mQueEGVCbB.jpg

Chateau Chaverny

OZumaTG3Bv.jpg

ekDowgEKx3.jpg

2uE3kUtd2S.jpg

Chinon Castle

WoSTTRugIk.jpg

cyubEMtgze.jpg

Our Gite -ha ha no not really!

OwBp7EHOpJ.jpg

Our gite

JZMZuDTgIv.jpg

Td5JZ93trO.jpg

Weird Lancia?

ebUnZ4trnx.jpg

Nice early Porker Targa

KU3QlbjCNR.jpg

Renault 6

y19tzAMnE7.jpg

Tours

YShpdW8Yd6.jpg

1Z7Tp3Aa5z.jpg

y0lUNsKvgV.jpg

One for Stew - cool trainer shop!

UMwm6HZM9U.jpg

nrYE4qB8sP.jpg

Trogledites settlement in t'hills

oljVA6Yjm3.jpg

4m82Y61YpW.jpg

Like the old Twengo

UYBjZVaQyM.jpg

Not keen on new Twengo

8vjnar14Ll.jpg

Vendome Village

QsY4zAjgPY.jpg

Chateau Villandrey - just a stunning place - these pictures dont do it justice

727GChvD9t.jpg

PZBZX4WzXm.jpg

xjinzNaeiI.jpg

Lovely pics Stan, France is a beautiful country. I drove there a couple of years ago to my in laws place down on the west coast (Cognac region) and went past Tours, but unfortunately I only had a Vectra then. Would be muchbetter in the Zed, I'm envious :)

Lovely pics Stan, France is a beautiful country. I drove there a couple of years ago to my in laws place down on the west coast (Cognac region) and went past Tours, but unfortunately I only had a Vectra then. Would be muchbetter in the Zed, I'm envious :)

Thanks mate - we love it there - maybe we can arrange a club run out over t'channel sometime ? Do a coastal run along Normandy area with a few nights stop over (waiting for Beavis to offer suggestions! :lol: ) I know there is that event next year but its more racing doodar is'nt it? :)

Very nice Stan, most jealous! How many gallons did you bring back for "personal consumption"? :lol:

Thanks folks - shame we could'nt stay for longer.

Unfortunately we had to rush back so did'nt get time to really clear the place or even drink the place dry! :lol::drunk: A few bottles of Bretton Cider, rose and red managed to fall into the car by some means! ;)

Re: weather we came home to 1 dry day and its p****d it down since! Welcome home eh? :dry:

Oh well looking forward to the Hoon now and maybe possible venture across the pond next year B)