Clutch pedal stuck (not on the mats)

IanS16

Was driving back from Halfrauds after buying some engine oil and brake fluid and went to go from 4th gear to 5th (or 6th- cant remember) and pushed the clutch pedal in and it got stuck. managed to drive it home by pulling it back up with my foot but now even fully disengaged I cant get it in/out of of gear.

I've done a few searches on here and my350z but they all mentioned the clutch burning but mine isn't like that - it revs fine in neutral and I can crunch it into gear and it holds fine so its more like the clutch just wont disengage.

I noticed a bit of a noise today driving to work but thought it was my air filter (metallic sound) as its got a lot louder since the nismo ECU.

I tried to find a guide on changing the clutch fluid (via search and trawling) to no avail, can anybody point me in the right direction?

B*stard thing... im just about to go on 2 holidays as well!!! :angry:

Any help would be appreciated!

this may help... when I bought my Zed, after ~1hr driving the clutch pedal would go close to the floor, but I was still able to change gear. This was due to contaminated clutch fluid - as after bleeding/eplacing it was all ok.

It may be that you have lost all clutch pressure, so therefore not able to change gear.

My advice initially would be to bleed/replace clutch fluid - this is also simplest and easiest elimination and will check all clutch fluid seals (master & slave cylinders at the same time).

I'd go to a freindly local garage though, as mine didn't bleed straight away, it was a case of pushing pedal down and then pulling up a few times before old fluid started to run through - so easier on ramps with one on slave cylinder and one in car pumping and topping up every few pumps.

PS. go and see what it is like now, as before my fluid was changed the clutch pressure would come back when cold.

this may help... when I bought my Zed, after ~1hr driving the clutch pedal would go close to the floor, but I was still able to change gear. This was due to contaminated clutch fluid - as after bleeding/eplacing it was all ok.

It may be that you have lost all clutch pressure, so therefore not able to change gear.

My advice initially would be to bleed/replace clutch fluid - this is also simplest and easiest elimination and will check all clutch fluid seals (master & slave cylinders at the same time).

I'd go to a freindly local garage though, as mine didn't bleed straight away, it was a case of pushing pedal down and then pulling up a few times before old fluid started to run through - so easier on ramps with one on slave cylinder and one in car pumping and topping up every few pumps.

PS. go and see what it is like now, as before my fluid was changed the clutch pressure would come back when cold.

Just tried it a minute ago, still just a sprung pressureless pedal :dry:

I'll try and bleed it properly tomorrow as at the minute the fluid looks like gravy so I think it probably is contaminated.

I'm helping nurrish change his suspension tomorrow so I'll get him to help me :thumbs: Thanks for the advice anyway, I just hope it is something I can DIY as £££ is a bit stretched at the min :surrender:

Doesnt sound good mate. As mentioned above, bleed it and check for leaks. I think Nurrish should be helping you solve this before you do his suspension ;) If that doesnt solve it, get it to a decent inderpendant garage.

Its the slave cylinder m8 about to die.... been there a couple of weeks ago.... :dry:

Happened once during a track day a few months ago but once it cooled down it felt ok....then a few weeks ago i had my clutch replaced..picked the car up and 4 days later it totally failed. check fluid level next to the brake fluid but u may not even notice the leak underneath if its not too bad.... :thumbs:

BTW its gearbox down job if thats the problem.... :headhurt:

Its the slave cylinder m8 about to die.... been there a couple of weeks ago.... :dry:

Happened once during a track day a few months ago but once it cooled down it felt ok....then a few weeks ago i had my clutch replaced..picked the car up and 4 days later it totally failed. check fluid level next to the brake fluid but u may not even notice the leak underneath if its not too bad.... :thumbs:

BTW its gearbox down job if thats the problem.... :headhurt:

I was just about to post here saying its definitely the clutch slave cylinder :thumbs:

Now that I know what it is my350z comes up with quite a bit more content and it seems like a common fault.

The guys in the USA can get a nismo CSC for about $30 from mynismo.com so I'm going to look into that unless someone on here has a spare?

Anyone know if the slave cylinder is the same on UK & US cars? Cant see the gearbox being the wrong way round too, that just wouldnt be cost effective :wacko:

Mine was changed for free but i didnt know there is a nismo 1..... :angry:

Is it better than the stock one???

Gearbox needs to be removed for access to the clutch no matter what....and then your exhaust will rattle for a bit till it settles down..... :headhurt::lol:

| was charged £350 from nissan hull for the new clutch and they can change it in a day....the price doesnt include spare parts tho.... :dry:

Gearbox needs to be removed for access to the clutch no matter what....and then your exhaust will rattle for a bit till it settles down..... :headhurt::lol:

| was charged £350 from nissan hull for the new clutch and they can change it in a day....the price doesnt include spare parts tho.... :dry:

I think I'm just going to get one from nissan now. Don't think the early gearbox needs to come off as its bolted on the outside. (mine's an 03) Anyway, I'll post a guide when I do it just in case anyone else needs to change theirs :thumbs:

I think I'm just going to get one from nissan now. Don't think the early gearbox needs to come off as its bolted on the outside. (mine's an 03) Anyway, I'll post a guide when I do it just in case anyone else needs to change theirs :thumbs:

Good luck m8....waiting for more info...hope you get it sorted soon!!! :thumbs:

• 1 month later...

UPDATE:

Got the Zed back finally :drive1

IMG_0012.jpg

It was a broken clutch pivot ball :angry:

Massive thanks to ZMANALEX, he sorted the clutch slave cylinder (I mis-diagnosed it as that) and the Pivot Ball and spring super fast and had a quick chat with me about sorting it out! In fact, he even sorted me the diagrams :thumbs: (He also proved the garage wrong :notworthy: ) Dont want to sound like a brown nose but the help he gave me was invaluable!

Cheers to nurrish too who has had to put up with me winging :surrender:

So I'm back on the road.. WATCH OUT :lol: