Kenwoord 5240BT Handsfree Volume Too Quiet

Mark-UK

Hi there I had my Kenwood 5240BT installed this morning I bought from you guys, all is fine except 2 things, firstly the handsfree only comes through the rear speaker behind the seats in the 350z, its very hard to hear due to this, the persons voice at other end does not come through speakers at front of car, also the other persons voice level is very quiet despite the head unit volume being up full. Also the person at other end says I sound faint as if the mic is not loud enough, its mounted behind steering wheel on the dash.

And finally there seems to be some intereference sound, like a screeching, even when car stationary and not moving, like a squelch when u put a mic close to a speaker on karaoke, any ideas please.

Cheers everyone. On my kenwood system when i go in fader, if i move the arrow upto the front of the seats in the car layout image and the sound goes quiet at the front, does that mean its been wired incorrectly or correctly?

So basically I go into audio set up and to fader, there I see a daigram of a cars front and back seats with the cross over it, if i drag the curser to the front of the cross on the front seats the sound goes away form the speakers at the front, is that meant to happen?

Im getting sound from front speakers with dvd, tuner and cd etc but not with the bluetooth handsfree, only comes from driver seat rear speaker and its quiet, cant hear it.

As mentioned in MSN 99.9% sure its not been installed properly. Bet they have got the RCAs the wrong way round. Supprised they let it go like that to be honest.

As for the interferance my guess is they have not added the extra ground wire you require and is relying on the poor earth of the aerial .

Cheers guys, ok they sorted it now, sort of lol, the sound is coming from the front speakers for the handsfree but still not as loud as I would have thought, volume has to be all the way up still, bit of a let down tbh, my pioneer bluetooth head unit is loud as hell even when only halfwya up volume and even with top down doing 70 you can hear crystal clear. This just doesnt seem loud at all, plus is there anyway to turn up level of sound mic, ie mic gain i think its called, not happy tbh for £700?

The interference ive been told is cos its a bose and amp system and I need a £15 lead or something to stop it, they called their rep who said this lead will stop the sound which only appears when the engine is running.

As mentioned you might want to look at getting the signal booster mentioned on my FAQ page. The ICT loom is designed for many head units which have pre-outs ranging from <1v to 4v. This means that if you have one outputting a lower voltage you might find you need to boost it to get the volume you want.

As for the interferance I still think its installed wrong and they have not grounded it. I don't believe them when they say the cage is grounded as the cage is attached to the plastic facia which is attached to a plastic center console (I would remove the head unit and have a look yourself - it will be very clear and going on the problems you have had would question the installation)

The lead they are talking about is an isolation lead which 'may' sort it but better to sort the cause of the problem if you can than work around it.

Hi there Ron thanks for asking yes they sorted leads, they were the wrong way round, defo louder now, no problem at all, im just looking at trying to increase mic gain on the kenwood 5240 unit, any ideas.

Also there waiting for part to ground it correctly for that interference problem with radio.

Yes the cage the head unit comes with is plastic but that cage sits within a plastic facia which sits in a plastic center console. The standard head unit does ground but its frame is much bigger and it bolts to the chassis.

I bet the reason your head unit is working at all is due to the aerial being in providing a ground path

• 2 weeks later...

They have fitted the ground things that seemed to have worked but now the bloody handsfree wont work, I can pair phone fine and when i call or call in the answer and hangup buttons appear on screen but no sound at all? Any ideas before I ring the fitters back cheers.