Long shot - ideas on how i can get the new iPhone

marzman

Hi guys,

just looking for ideas - how can i get the new iPhone?

I signed up to a new contract in december and sold the phone it came with and kept my Samsung F480.

However, i've had this a year now, and want the new iPhone, but i've got 12 months left on my contract.

Can anyone think of a way that i can convince O2 to give me one at a reduced rate? I dont want to go and pay them £500 for a sim-free one, or pay £300 on eBay...!

Any ideas?

They have a lot of leeway on negotiaions Chris. I upgraded within my contract period, just said I was going to upgrade anyway so they would lose my call charges if they didnt do it. the new MDA was in the post next day. This was with T mobile but they are all the same. :)

think your stuck with it mate until you come up for upgrade. I suppose you try asking nicely but i cant see it getting you very far. The only other option is to reduce your tariff to the lowest one and then pay off the remainder of your contract that way. Will cost alot either way!

If you want an iPhone you have to go to O2, so they've got you over a barrel. More than enough people want one to ensure that they don't really need to bargain at all, so I can't see much of an answer here. To put it in perspective, I've had a 2G iPhone since Jan last year, and have 10 other phones with O2 all comfortably spending over £40pcm, yet O2 wouldn't let me upgrade my current contract 9 days early so I could pick a 3GS up in the O2 shop yesterday.

I don't exactly mind the wait, but it shows you just how hard-nosed they can afford to be right now.

If you want an iPhone you have to go to O2, so they've got you over a barrel. More than enough people want one to ensure that they don't really need to bargain at all, so I can't see much of an answer here. To put it in perspective, I've had a 2G iPhone since Jan last year, and have 10 other phones with O2 all comfortably spending over £40pcm, yet O2 wouldn't let me upgrade my current contract 9 days early so I could pick a 3GS up in the O2 shop yesterday.

I don't exactly mind the wait, but it shows you just how hard-nosed they can afford to be right now.

Yeh you're right Dan - they hold all the cards because of the exclusivity deal.

Si - i think thats the route i'll have to go down... i've just been on their website and it explained your option of paying off your remaining balance... but if i did that now it'd be £420. However, i could be wrong but i think after 9 months you can start reducing your tariff incrementally, so it might take me another 4 months before i can get it down to £15 a month - but then i can pay it all in one go...

so still a 7 month wait...! Balls.

Si - i think thats the route i'll have to go down... i've just been on their website and it explained your option of paying off your remaining balance... but if i did that now it'd be £420. However, i could be wrong but i think after 9 months you can start reducing your tariff incrementally, so it might take me another 4 months before i can get it down to £15 a month - but then i can pay it all in one go...

Phones4U will usually buy out your contract if you still have time to run. Can they get one for you from 02 or do you have to go direct to an 02 Shop?

Remember that once you buy out your contract you still have to buy the phone on a new contract. Looking at the numbers just getting a PAYG might still be cheaper i.e.

Contract buy-out = £420, 32GB 3GS on 35pm = £274.23 = total outlay of £694 AND tied into new 18 month contract

PAYG = 538.30 - Job done.

For most people at the mo if you are on a low pm charge i.e. <£50 then PAYG works out best.

Remember that once you buy out your contract you still have to buy the phone on a new contract. Looking at the numbers just getting a PAYG might still be cheaper i.e.

Contract buy-out = £420, 32GB 3GS on 35pm = £274.23 = total outlay of £694 AND tied into new 18 month contract

PAYG = 538.30 - Job done.

For most people at the mo if you are on a low pm charge i.e. <£50 then PAYG works out best.

Phones4U will buy out your contract giving you the money in cash/cheque for the rest of the time the contract has to run as long as you take out a new phone contract with them. Therefore, lets say you pay £40 a month at the moment and you have 4 months to run (easy to do the calculations), they will give you £160 cash/cheque. You could then give that phone to a family member to use up the 4 months remaining. Take out an 02 contract for the new phone. Job done :thumbs:

Heard way too many horror stories about people getting screwed by Phones4U to trust them to buy it out. have you had actual experience of it?

My daughter has and she was given £ for the rest of her contract. She then gave the SIM from it to my wife to use in her phone. I believe she had about 9 months left on her contract. She sold her phone to her friend.

Get everything in writing and you should not have a problem. :thumbs: Phone retailers get a 'kick back' from the network provider. This may not work if you have a contract on say £15 per month, but should not be a problem on a £30/ month contract plus :thumbs: