Travelling abroad - advice needed?

stanski

HI folks

We're off to France soon in the Zed so just wanted to ask

Do you bother putting any blackouts on the headlights?

A lot of talk about ferry ramps and Zeds' being too low - is the standard ride height ok or just a worry if its lowered?

I didn't put anything on mine, although I avoided night driving. I did have the headlights on during the heavy rain without any complaints though.

I got on and off without any problems (on standard suspension) - the same can't be said for the AM V8 that was in front of me though! :)

I didn't put anything on mine, although I avoided night driving. I did have the headlights on during the heavy rain without any complaints though.

I got on and off without any problems (on standard suspension) - the same can't be said for the AM V8 that was in front of me though! :)

Thanks chippy :thumbs: when I had my Nissan Ditchfinder - I used to dip the lights via a switch but these you cant do anything with can you? :dry:

Legally you have to, regardless of whether you're going to drive at night or not. For the sake of a few quid and given how easy they are to fit and remove, it seems daft not to.

Legally you have to, regardless of whether you're going to drive at night or not. For the sake of a few quid and given how easy they are to fit and remove, it seems daft not to.

I know - I've got some black vinyl at home I can wack that on! I know the French Police dont mess about!

Beavis your right I could save £1.50 by driving on the right :lol:

I know - I've got some black vinyl at home I can wack that on! I know the French Police dont mess about!

Beavis your right I could save £1.50 by driving on the right :lol:

Watch the speed limits. One of my friends got an on the spot fine for overtaking and going to fast coming back from Le Mans this year. :headhurt:

Hi Stan,

The Froggy police don't muck around here and will give you an on the spot fine if all is not correct.

As mentioned before you should do the headlights.

You also need a red warning triangle.

You also need a green reflective jacket which you must be able to put it on before getting out of the car, if you fail to have this as of the 1st July last year this has a 70 euro on the spot fine and this is why you will see alot of cars with the green jacket on the back of the driver's seat visable.

You are also meant to have spare bulbs but they don't seem to inforce this.

Re the ramps I left on the ferry from Portsmouth and had problems with the height and took the ramps at an angle but found the loading guy's very helpfull and used to this problem.

Also make sure you have all your documents with you, the frogs love their paperwork and can make life really tricky if not all in order.

Quite a few police around with hair dryers to check your forward progress so be carefull, if you see a picture of a camera on a sign slow down there will be a camera or just speed up and :teeth: and at least make the fine worth it.

Hope this helps and enjoy your :drive1

Hi Stan,

The Froggy police don't muck around here and will give you an on the spot fine if all is not correct.

As mentioned before you should do the headlights.

You also need a red warning triangle.

You also need a green reflective jacket which you must be able to put it on before getting out of the car, if you fail to have this as of the 1st July last year this has a 70 euro on the spot fine and this is why you will see alot of cars with the green jacket on the back of the driver's seat visable.

You are also meant to have spare bulbs but they don't seem to inforce this.

Re the ramps I left on the ferry from Portsmouth and had problems with the height and took the ramps at an angle but found the loading guy's very helpfull and used to this problem.

Also make sure you have all your documents with you, the frogs love their paperwork and can make life really tricky if not all in order.

Quite a few police around with hair dryers to check your forward progress so be carefull, if you see a picture of a camera on a sign slow down there will be a camera or just speed up and :teeth: and at least make the fine worth it.

Hope this helps and enjoy your :drive1

Thanks Mate I never speed over there at all - they carry guns dont they! :surrender::scare:

I went in 2006 and yes I am careful - I have the jacket, triange and bulbs in the car, but first time in the Zed to go over there. I know the French Police dont mess about and to be fair to them they dont make a drama out of a crisis like the highways agency do here!! :headhurt:

When I was there last a wagon driver had obviously fallen asleep at the wheel and landed his 18 wheeler in a ditch at the side of the road. There was exactly 1 yes just 1 local bobby in his poxy Police Clio directing traffic - helping the ambulance and making sure the wagon did'nt go up in flames before the fire brigade arrived all by himself no drama and no need to close the roads within a 10 mile radius like they do over here when someones stubbie aerial falls onto the hard shoulder! :lol::dry: