Connecting SOny Handcam (didgital) to Vista

Martin W

Is there a trick to get your Vista laptop to recognise the Digicam

I'm connecting a Sony DCR-PC53E VIA a handycamStation & Firewire lead (DV OUt)

Windows beeps when i power on the Camcorder

But Windows Movie maker doesn't recognise a device when I 'File | Import'

Any ideas? :blink:

If it's a Sony, it might be recorded in a proprietry MP4 format like that ATRAC they used on Minidiscs.

Have you downloaded a codec pack recently? It will add recognition for loads of music and video formats.

Are you running XP SP2? there's somthing on the Microsoft Knowledge Base:

SYMPTOMS

After you update your computer to Microsoft Windows XP Service Pack 2 (SP2), the performance of your 1394a or 1394b FireWire devices may be greatly decreased. A digital camera that uses S400 speed is an example of such a device.

CAUSE

This problem occurs if you connect a 1394a or 1394b FireWire device to a 1394b port. This problem occurs because Windows XP SP2 changes 1394b ports to S100 speed when you upgrade

read more at:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/885222

The article gives a registry fix if you have this problem, with a download repair. here is the link to that download

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=CA0F2007-18B5-4112-8BD6-8BF4BD3130B9&displaylang=en

Or even:

I found this info on Sony's web site

Knowledge Article C111893

http://esupport.sony.com/perl/model-faq.pl?mdl=DCRTRV330

How to connect a digital camcorder to a computer using an i.LINK® connection (IEEE 1394).

Follow this procedure to connect a digital camcorder to a computer using an i.LINK® connection (IEEE 1394).

IMPORTANT: The computer must have an i.LINK® (IEEE 1394) port and compatible video capture software installed.

NOTE: The i.LINK® ports may have four or six pin connections. Sony® digital camcorders use i.LINK® ports with four pins. Consult the computer or capture card manufacturer for the specifications of the i.LINK® port on the computer.

Verify that the tape that is being used actually has video recorded on it, and that it is rewound.

Connect the i.LINK® cable to the digital camcorder.

Connect the other end of the i.LINK® cable to the computer.

Turn on the computer.

Turn on the digital camcorder.

Start the video capture software on the computer.

NOTE: Image capture should be available if the computer hardware and software are configured correctly. If image capture is not available, consult the computer or capture card manufacturer for assistance.

Seems a minefield :wacko:

Sony Memory stick is recognized over the USB connection, but apparently not the DV tape.

using 4 pin Firewire cable gets me a beep (from Device manager) on connection, but Device Manager refuses to list the device

:angry: