Take care fitting new front side lights

Dicky

Fitted led's to the front yesterday :teeth: . Soon realised that the dam clips securing the wheel arch liner to the front bumper and the lower engine covers are all made of steel and end up rusted solid the day after your new car encounters rain for the first time.

You obviously can’t see behind the covers so you get your 10mm spanner out and begin to turn. NOTE if you do 360˚ you’ve already done the damage. The bolt AND the clip turn and the clip destroys its locating slot in the soft plastic, so you cant fit a replacement.

On completion, of what I thought would be a simple job, I’ve now got a chewed up melted plastic liner which came loose while travelling at warp factor and got heated up by a frenzied Bridgestone.

Anyone know where you can lay your hands on a cheap replacement? I suppose the stealer will want about £100 for one (plus a drink for the boss of course)

By the way I noticed that my covers have lots of screws scattered around underneath, where the mechanics have had the same problem during servicing. What a stupid fastening given its location the material used and the frequent need for servicing access. :rant:

I know how you feel mate. This is the reason my undertray gave way at the Wales drive out. When fitting the new wings I had to remove the archliners and the clips were rusted and the slightest turn breaks the holes apart :rant:

It's held together with tie wraps at the moment and I'll get around to fixing it after I have had the front bumper sprayed

I think you can get into the side light bulbs by just peeling back the arch liner after removing the small philips head screw just close to to top if the wheel also the LEDs only work one way round so you have a 50/50 chance of popping it in the right way

Paul

Major PITA! I too have destroyed my undertray and its now only held in with about 3 bolts. Putting copper slip on them helps but you might then lose them if they work free :thumbdown:

+1, I used some copper grease on the bolts and they seem to be holding up ok. I also used some wide cable ties (looped through the holes where the clips were damaged) and it clears speed bumps better than ever.

the whole fastening method of the zed is a PITA, took my rear bumper off yesterday now the shuts wont marry up and the screwholes underneith are about an inch apart and wont go together :rant::rant:

Plus the fastners for the rear wheel arches are held in with plastic screws which deadhead even if you point a screwdriver at them.

R

Got a price this morning. The wing liner is in two parts, the front part (damaged part) is the thick end of £50 inc vat which isn’t as bad as I thought. The round plastic clips are £1 but he didn’t have a price for the metal ones. I’m thinking now that Ty wraps are a better solution than the metal clips anyway,easy to fit and replace. Give that man a gold star ;)

Any pics of the l.e.d's ?

Apologies for the delay. The led lights are great I fitted them after having fitted a pair of led fog lamps I got off ebay, commonly know among those who read my post as the “Chip Shop Lights†(sticks & stones---)

Anyway I fitted the side lights because the original filament ones looked yellow when the fogs were on. Now they all match.

Sorry the pictures aren’t too good with my old phone but I’ll try to get better ones later

You can see how bright they are though and how yellow the old ones were