Satnav and cubby, fitting help needed

rtbiscuit

ok this is a follow on from the cubby i have just bought, nothing wrong with it as its a nice piece of kit, matches the interior perfectly. my problem is that my sat nave is too wide by 4mm :doh:

its so close to fitting but yet so far

here is my satnav

P1000643.jpg

and here it is sat ontop of instead of in the cubby

P1000644.jpg

and here is a close up showing by just how much, its litterally the thickness of the plastic

P1000645.jpg

i've been racking my brains on how to get round it.

i cant dismantle the unit as there are connector slots and dials and switches on the front.

i cant cut the sides out completely as i'd cut through the guide rails for the lid and the lid wouldn't work, and i'd also seriosly weaken the box.

but i have been looking at the unit itself. the amount of plastic i would need to loose is exactly the thickness of a lip that runs round the outside, see exibit below

P1000646.jpg

how safe do you think it would be to sand off 2 mm from each side? :scare: one side has a little led bit on ot, but you'd never see it once the units in, and all the sides are hidden in the back.

i was just contemplating taking the power sander to it, does anyone else have any better ideas?

How about dont have it in the cubby and get something fabricated in fibreglass so its sits like the 08 OEM one then? You can then take it out when you park the car outside?

i contemplated it, but i wanted to keep the cubby door etc.

i suppose before i cut into anything is i need to go and test fit both parts, as yet i don't know how the unit is going to work in the car, and if it will connect properly into the bose.

if it does work, then i suppose i could cut into the cubby

the sides would still be attatched through the roof of the cubby (not the lid itself but an internal roof) i could add 2 strengthening bars to put the support back in. the only problem is i would have to remove the sides but leave the guide tracks in place with out damaging them, and i would still need to work out how to keep the unit in place so it doesn't fall out.

i think a dremmel may have to be purchased.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi guys, had the dash out of mine today i have an 54 plate. I noticed underneath the normal flip cubby thre is a p[late that takes the panel at the bottom. This panel has the catch on it that the cubby lid clips onto when it closes. Now on the retractable cubby there is no mounting plate to screw this catch panel onto. Is this a different part? Any ideas where i can get?