buying a new camera

sl114

In readiness of Wales, i am buying a new camera as my D50 isnt working that well anymore...so i am getting a Nikon D60 body and using my existing 18-55mm lens.

I want to get a 50mm lens to do some portrait pictures, however does anyone know if an af lens will fit an afs?

Try DPReview.com forums. They will tell you. I know naff all about Nikon :blush:

After a quick google

http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/d60.htm

Lens Compatibility: Just like the D40 and D40x, the D60 autofocuses only with AF-S lenses, and does not meter with manual lenses. This means you have to focus older AF lenses by hand, and that you have to guess at exposure with manual focus lenses.

I'd ask in Jessops or some sort to confirm, but I know there is something similar with old Canon lenses too. Ken Rockwell is a bit of a tool sometimes, hes very marmite, but that should be reliable information.

Try DPReview.com forums. They will tell you. I know naff all about Nikon :blush:

After a quick google

http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/d60.htm

Lens Compatibility: Just like the D40 and D40x, the D60 autofocuses only with AF-S lenses, and does not meter with manual lenses. This means you have to focus older AF lenses by hand, and that you have to guess at exposure with manual focus lenses.

I'd ask in Jessops or some sort to confirm, but I know there is something similar with old Canon lenses too. Ken Rockwell is a bit of a tool sometimes, hes very marmite, but that should be reliable information.

Cheers buddy i will do just that. I tend to use manual focus anyway as i prefer that for portrait shots, so that isnt too much of an issue, however i will confirm when i go to buy teh camera :thumbs:

Just been talking to some people at work and they suggested for what i want, the D40 does everything i need, i can then sell my existing 18-55mm lens and buy the 50mm AF, which does work with the D40, i just need to manually focus. Metering will work unlike that Ken says. :thumbs:

Im picking it up tomorrow

Cool chum :thumbs:

FWIW I think Ken was saying auto focus lenses will need manual focusing, but metering will still work. Plain manual focus lenses will obviously need manual focusing and metering wont work. Small but significant difference.

Cool chum :thumbs:

FWIW I think Ken was saying auto focus lenses will need manual focusing, but metering will still work. Plain manual focus lenses will obviously need manual focusing and metering wont work. Small but significant difference.

I knew i could count on you to provide me with good info there. :thumbs:

Thanks mate

update...

i ended up keeping my D50 as the guys in jessops said that it is working as it should and the only thing that isnt is the flash, therefore...i bought a flash gun and also got the 50mm af lens as that works with the D50 :thumbs: