Considering whether to modify engine parts

Marios

I am now starting to consider actually modifying for performance, even though I told myself I wouldn't touch the engine this time round after having a modified vw polo gti before this I did vow to keep this car standard (apart from athestic looks)

I am not considering starting with changing the air filter, now I have not had an extensive look under the bonnet but I was wondering I was to change the air filter would it mean taking over the engine cover and having to leave it off as I had to with my old car? I know I could install a cold air feed air filter but there is not space for me to mess around as im not the best!

Are there any other mod's you would recommend? Even though i love the sound of the V6 im sure with a few mods it could improve. Any thoughts?

A filter is a good start either popcharger style short ram or a CAI will add noise. A panel filter is also an option.

You will only get noise added without spending thousands.

A Plenum spacer is a good mod that improves torque and doesn't break the bank!

Forgot to add the engine cover will not need removed for these mods.

So I will have to change the ECU or remap?

Air filter looks great but I noticed the cover has been taken off, im guessing this was out of neccesity? Any sound clips of how it sounds with the K&N? I had a k&n induction kit on old car which I was impressed with.

no, sorry, the engine cover is off as i have no trim what so ever in my car, there is no need to remove the cover :thumbs:

Sorry bit confused, so you did remove the cover but you didnt need to because of the air filter?

I am unaware of any air filter that requires the engine cover to be removed.

no, sorry, the engine cover is off as i have no trim what so ever in my car, there is no need to remove the cover :thumbs:

Sorry bit confused, so you did remove the cover but you didnt need to because of the air filter?

Oh right does that go for the same if I have the cold air feed aswell instead of just the panel?

Pop charger sounds like a good choice, need to hear it will have to go on youtube and see if I can see anything on there that I can listen to on a 350z.

Oh right does that go for the same if I have the cold air feed aswell instead of just the panel?

Pop charger sounds like a good choice, need to hear it will have to go on youtube and see if I can see anything on there that I can listen to on a 350z.

Goes for all filters. CAI, short ram, panel.

As I say, as far as I am aware......

So I will have to change the ECU or remap?

Air filter looks great but I noticed the cover has been taken off, im guessing this was out of neccesity? Any sound clips of how it sounds with the K&N? I had a k&n induction kit on old car which I was impressed with.

No remaps are currently available so an aftermarket ECU is the only option. That said, you should speak with Adam as he has had extensive experience tuning NA Zeds..

That looks quality, listened to a few pop chargers on youtube cant work out with sounds better a K&N typhoon or the pop charger. I have not heard them in person so I am unsure. It does seem the pop charger is more popular. (no pun intended)

Pop charger comes with a heat sheild and looks like a nice made bit of kit..

In the future you may want to get a CAI pipe and then cut a hole in your bumper to fit a scoop...

The typhoon comes as a kit with the chrome tube, heat shield box, bumper scoop (no cutting required) carbon lid... So costs in the long run are about the same.

PM Chilli Red (Envy) as they have the pop chargers in stock here in the uk.

M

Be aware that any engine mods you do will not improve performance as the stock ECU cancels any gains out.

to be honest, nothing could be further from the truth

there ARE gains to be had from bolt ons, if properly selected, and even more gains to be had with proper engine management tuning

out of all the parts that can be changed on this car, the air filter is the least important. Aftermarket ones will provide better (subjective) sound, and cold air intakes will provide more consistent air inlet temperatures at speed (and recover quicker when the car is left idling)

Be aware that any engine mods you do will not improve performance as the stock ECU cancels any gains out.

to be honest, nothing could be further from the truth

there ARE gains to be had from bolt ons, if properly selected, and even more gains to be had with proper engine management tuning

out of all the parts that can be changed on this car, the air filter is the least important. Aftermarket ones will provide better (subjective) sound, and cold air intakes will provide more consistent air inlet temperatures at speed (and recover quicker when the car is left idling)

Go on Adam..... I'm intrigued about the bolt ons that provide gains.

Go on Adam..... I'm intrigued about the bolt ons that provide gains.

Me too :snack:

I undertand that a cone filter will potentially lose you power due to heat soak compared to the stock airbox (which really is more than adequate for its purpose), but the sound for me is sooo nice :blush:

From further research I have done on the engine mods, the upgrades to zorst / manifolds / CAI make the car more free flowing, which will lean out the air / fuel mix.

To richen this up you need a piggy back or a way of increasing the mix... Job done! It may not be that the ECU is stopping them, more that the ECU cant up the injector / flow due to limits set... after all running more fuel meens the consumption changes and thats not good for emmisions...

Just to quote some more research..

"Many times, people make very good modifications to their engines, but then find they have less power than they did before. This frequently means that the fuel mixture has gone off because of the modifications. But when you take that badly running car and straighten out the mixture, it becomes a whole different type of animal. "

Thats why some of us are getting O2 sensor warnings cause the mix is too lean.....

PF_1944322~Discobolos-Discus-Thrower-Posters.jpg

!!!

Thats what its doing when it dials them out I think. It only has a small window of adjustment, enough to cope with the stock parts. Start modding them, and make it freer flowing and it cant handle it. I guess that makes sense with what Adam was saying about the SAFC too, as I guess although that can fool the ECU into thinking there is more air, and hence needs more fuel, it cant deliver it as its outside the usual "range". On thing I always assumed though is that because it FBW, why doesnt the ECU just dial out some throttle (i.e. air flow) to allow the AFR to be spot on? Why does it let it lean out? Is it lean, but still safe? Also Technosquare suggested that it knows how much power it should be making at any given time and it will compensate for that with its mix. Dont know how true that is either. Seems to be lots of indicisive information out there.

All I know is that I have a pop charger, plenum spacer and Nismo exhaust and on the DynoDynamics dyno it made 2BHP over stock (so I call that stock!) so it obviously does dial out mods. Unless of course the popcharger lost me what the plenum spacer gained me. AFR was spot on too by what the chaps there were saying.

Man we need someone to be able to map the stock ECU over here :blush: