Headlights and other bulbs

rtbiscuit

Suppose its easier to start with the problem, my passengers side dipped beam has blown. so i need to find a replacement. i have decided that at the same time i'll change out lots of the other bulbs at the same time and up date the look while i have the wheel lining out.i have used the search function and had a read and found some information.

so far i have tracked down some side lights which are quad LED and wheite which are the ones bullet magnet recommended the question is can these also be used in the number plate at the rear and in the boot space, and would one extra pair be enough i.e. one in the boot and one in the number plate, or do both sections take 2 bulbs. in other words do i order 2 sets or 3?

also does anyone have any reccomendations on a good indicator bulb, i want to get rid of the ornage ones and put something silver that flashes orange.

also when it comes to the dipped bulbs i know i need an H7 55w bulb and something to do with D2R but i've never played around with bulbs and don't fully understand if the connections are all the same, can i use different bulbs, what are good and bad etc.

i know some people use philips, and i've had a browse on ebay, but can't tell whats good and bad etc.

does anyone know of a good supplier of automotive bulbs and point me in the right direction and possibly advice on what to avoid. i know PIAA do stuff but its quite expensive. and nissan is a rip off.

Sidelights:

eBay link:

http://stores.ebay.co.uk/Gxx-LED-Center ... asstQQtZkm

Look for the 4xLED W5W capless, cost £2.99 for the pair.

They came in a nice little Jiffy envelope and because I ordered two pairs, I got a free airfreshener, lol.

Delivery was next day, which is nice and fast.

They also do a varietey of LED based bulbs, incl. the numberplate ones and interior festoon ones

• 1 month later...

finally took the plunge and order bulbs for the car, have upgraded all bulbs to try and improve the night driving. have used www.autobulbsdirect.co.uk for some of the bulbs and ebay for the others. would have got everything from autobulbs but they were out of stock of the upgraded 6000k hid bulb. but it has meant i got 2 free gifts by using 2 sites which meant i haven't had to pay for all my bulbs.

so heres whats coming:

ebay:

6000k D2R HID bulbs came with free 501 exenonsidelight bulbs which are going in the number plate. £29.99

XTec 581 P21w Chrome Amber Indicator bulbs (offset pin) to get rid of the fried egg look £3.99

autobulbs:

501 W5W Philips Blue Vision (pair) for front sidelights £8.81

H7 Philips X-treme Power +80% bulbs (pair) £27.88

501 LED side lights free gift going in the boot. Free

total spend £78.18 inc p+p

will post up pics when all in and give people a review of what i think. i thought if i was having to change the hids, as its such an arse of a job i might as wll do them all at the same time.

Afraid to say that the indicators are T20 and not P21w - these are the ones you want http://www.jdmperformance.co.uk/item_de ... odID=52189

Sidelights and numberplates use the same 501s. Boot is a festoon but I forget the measurement :blush:

the bulb number which i ot off of autobulbs was the 581. i checked it by car make everything.

will find out when they come i suppose.

as for the boot its a 501 as far as the guides say.

:blush: thougth it was a festoon the same as the dome lights inside :blush: Come to think of it I am wrong, and it is a sidelight bulb, and the reason I didnt change mine was that most sidelights are front facing and this faces sideways, so doesnt cast the light into the boot. Maybe thats why I thought it was festoon :wacko:

:blush: thougth it was a festoon the same as the dome lights inside :blush: Come to think of it I am wrong, and it is a sidelight bulb, and the reason I didnt change mine was that most sidelights are front facing and this faces sideways, so doesnt cast the light into the boot. Maybe thats why I thought it was festoon :wacko:

I need to get some LED dome lights so if you know of any good ones please share!!

On the boot light, get one of the ones with the leds on the top and sides, they work much better!!

these T20's indicator bulbs your refering to seem to be the ones for the side of the car,

the 582's i got were for in the headlight assembly themselves.

i'll get some T20's for the side of the car at halfrauds then.

just ordered some from the same site.

will try and send back the other bulbs for a refund.

Phillips are much brighter than the silvertech ones BTW :)

**** a duck

now he tells me :doh:

Sorry mate, thought I had written it on this thread!! Must have been in another one! They wont have been sent yet!

The silvertec ones are more than sufficient IMO, and as you said they are only indicators :lol: (your not an ex BMW driver by any chance are you rtbiscuit). :lol:

R

nope.

i just use them when they re needed, its a choice, where as BMW's are only fitted with indicators as an optional extra.

The silvertec ones are more than sufficient IMO, and as you said they are only indicators :lol: (your not an ex BMW driver by any chance are you rtbiscuit). :lol:

R

nope.

i just use them when they re needed, its a choice, where as BMW's are only fitted with indicators as an optional extra.

Yeah and most of the drivers tend to choose the bluetooth extra instead..lol

ex BMW driver :blush:

fitted all bulbs but the indicators,

but hit a slight snag, i was replacing the bulbs because my passenger side HID stopped working, i changed the bulbs over to the new 6000K but it still doesn't work.

does this mean that the balast has gone?

also would this be related to the fact that when i turned my lights on the horn would go off; until i disconnected the horn. the bulb went before i got round to disconnecting the horn.