Airplane trails - strange phenomena?

NWZ

Last night I took these photos of all the aeroplanes coming into land at Manchester (about 45 miles from me). I'm no aviation nut so if anybody wishes to comment on why the aeroplane trails were so big compared to normal! Let me know what it could have been ! It looks as if they were dumping, their fuel over our house. The trails are never that big normally but maybe it was the calm weather that caused it?

th_IMG_2602.jpg

th_IMG_2603.jpg

th_IMG_2606.jpg

Last night I took these photos of all the aeroplanes coming into land at Manchester (about 45 miles from me). I'm no aviation nut so if anybody wishes to comment on why the aeroplane trails were so big compared to normal! Let me know what it could have been ! It looks as if they were dumping, their fuel over our house. The trails are never that big normally but maybe it was the calm weather that caused it?

th_IMG_2602.jpg

th_IMG_2603.jpg

th_IMG_2606.jpg

The weather may have been calm at ground level, but it looks like there were quite strong winds blowing at the upper levels of the troposhere (or lower stratosphere), which is where these aircraft would be flying. The large trails are probably the result of these winds dispersing the vapour trails quite quickly.

Aircraft only dump fuel in extreme emergencies. In fact, only certain types of aircraft have the facility to dump fuel, even in emergency situations. Rather than having to lighten the aircraft by dumping fuel, most modern passenger aircraft can land over-weight at an airport with a suitably long runway.

Interesting read 3fiddyz! We laughed when it said looking up at the vapour trails with a pair of binoculaurs! mmmm, must put that on my list of toys!

Very interesting to know what the weather is like up above though. :thumbs: