Glasgow Hotels & Parking *Now with pics*

Cara

I'm looking to take a trip down to Glasgow next weekend, just an overnight stay on the Saturday, to do some shopping etc.

I'm looking at the Radisson city centre, amongst a few others, all pretty central (usually stay at Jurys Inn but the pool/sauna/spa etc at the Radisson sounds very tempting :D ) but I wonder if anyone can advise what the parking is like round about? I have stayed in Glasgow many times, but I usually take the train so I'm not sure about parking. The hotel says it has off-site valet parking, but I've read this just means paying for the privilege for them to drive it down to the local NCP/such-like and I'd rather do that myself...

What I want to know is if there is any safe and secure parking (and whether this costs an arm and a leg!)? Bit wary of taking the Z, but the only other alternative is the Megabus............ :blink:

Either that, or I look into hotels slightly out of the city which have good on-site parking and easy transport links to the centre (will be wanting to do shopping and a meal/drinks at night) but that's just not as handy as being right in the centre.

Any advice? Locals?

The Rad SAS is a lovely hotel and you are defo in the heart of the city right next to central station. As for the parking i know there are a few Ncp car parks within a minute walking distance from the hotel. I am sure the Rad give you a discount if you tell them you are wanting to keep your car over night etc. There is another option of leaving your car in Buchanan Galleries car park which is about 10 mins walk to the hotel but its where all the shops etc are so quite an enjoyable walk (as long as its not raining lol). But that may cost you about 20 quid for the night. If there is anything else you want to kno cara just ask :)

Cara,

The Radisson is very nice, though not as cosy as Jury's. My office is a couple of blocks along the street from the Radisson, and I never take the Z into the city. If at all possible I travel in by train. There is an NCP just round the corner in Oswald Street, but I would be wary of leaving my car there overnight. There is a better car park in Waterloo Street, just a bit further away, but I don't know how much they would charge for an overnight stay.

The Hilton has its own underground car park, which I believe is well looked after, but again I have no personal experience of it. The Marriott, nearby, has a decent amount of parking space at the back of the hotel, but it's not as nice a place to stay as the Radisson.

Maybe some of the other locals like Jay or Adam can make better suggestions.

Final thought - why not just hire a small car for the weekend and then you won't spend your evening worrying about the Z?

Best of luck,

Jim

Thanks very much guys for the info, much appreciated :thumbs:

I've parked in the Buchanan Galleries before Jay, I didn't realise they do overnight, so that might be a thought. I certainly don't mind a bit of a walk considering it's all through shops :teeth:

Chris, what did you think of the Malmaison itself? I looked at there myself, but it was fully booked anyway. Looks lovely though.

Jim, thanks for all the info, funnily enough I looked at the Hilton too. It's just really difficult to know when they say 'parking available' exactly how decent it is etc. So I appreciate all the advice. Idea of hiring a small car might be something for me to look into - I hadn't thought of that. I don't want to incur any unnecessary expense, for a no-reason spur of the moment one-night away, but if I can find a cheap enough deal then that might be a solution.

I have to say though that it is looking more and more like Megabus maybe :headhurt: Not ideal, but probably save myself some worry and hassle.

I always stay in the Premier Inn next to the Nautical College. Short 5 min walk into town. Secure gated car parking :thumbs:

Not luxurious by any means, but it does the job, and Id rather sacrifice the room quality, than cough up £25 a night for an NCP

I always stay in the Premier Inn next to the Nautical College. Short 5 min walk into town. Secure gated car parking :thumbs:

Not luxurious by any means, but it does the job, and Id rather sacrifice the room quality, than cough up £25 a night for an NCP

Yes, but not the best part of the city to be walking through at night, IMO. :scare:

Chris, what did you think of the Malmaison itself? I looked at there myself, but it was fully booked anyway. Looks lovely though.

Well, i've not got a lot of experience staying in fancy hotels, but i thought it was amazing! Was very very plush, with a beautiful massive room and very posh bathroom.

And the food in their restaurant was excellent!

:thumbs:

Yes, but not the best part of the city to be walking through at night, IMO. :scare:

True enough.

But I lived in the Gorbols for 4 years whilst I was at the Nautical College and had no issues. And walking from town to the hotel, you dont really walk through the Grobals as you cross the bridge by the Sheriffs Court, and your practically there.

Though granted, on a night, Id probs get taxi back to the hotel. Though thats only cos the lissus would moan like hell if I made her walk back from Merchant City in heels!

Idea of hiring a small car might be something for me to look into - I hadn't thought of that. I don't want to incur any unnecessary expense, for a no-reason spur of the moment one-night away, but if I can find a cheap enough deal then that might be a solution.

I have to say though that it is looking more and more like Megabus maybe :headhurt: Not ideal, but probably save myself some worry and hassle.

Think of the precious shopping money you may want to splurge on. :blush:;)

Nice classy place the gorbals lexx lol ;)

Yup, for classy people like me! :p

Gunna be staying in the Premier Inn there on April 13th. Might be going for a few drinks with the missus in Ashton Lane, lemme know if you fancy a few :thumbs:

Cara you are more than welcome to park your zed in my parents drive lol! Its is about 15 mins from the city :)

Come on be the gentlemen and offer your spare room too ;)

Not my house to offer the spare room buddy ;)

You'd think one of our glasgow members would let you park in their drive and then give you a lift to the shops Cara! :lol:

:lol: I think I've decided to use the bus.......... but thanks very much Jay, very nice of you (or should I say your parents) B)

And use of their credit card. :lol::lol:

:lol::lol:

Cara - pop down to Manchester, leave your Zed here, borrow my van - drive up to Glasgow - for the weekend then pop back , drive your Zed back home! There easy! :lol:

Let us know how you get on - oh pictures please -in fact a mini guide please? :)

No worries Cara. But 4 or 5 hours on a mega bus is my idea of hell! Why dont you just get the train?

It's just over 3 hours, but I know what you mean :headhurt: But I can't quite bring myself to pay the exorbitant train fare when the bus is less than half the price..... (no jokes about Aberdonians please! :lol: )

Cara - pop down to Manchester, leave your Zed here, borrow my van - drive up to Glasgow - for the weekend then pop back , drive your Zed back home! There easy! :lol:

Let us know how you get on - oh pictures please -in fact a mini guide please? :)

Sounds good, simples! :lol::lol:

I will do, I am still undecided on the plans, I am so indecisive. Still really want to take the Zed but my head is telling me otherwise. My pics will all be of shops - shoes and handbags anyone? :lol: