Come on you lot- its been a while since you mentioned boats

stanski

Im not even certain my first ship is still floating anymore!

If I ever develop any weird form of cancer thats the boat Im blaming!

Will have to find a pic of it when I have an internet connection that isnt governed by the goverment!

Aaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!

We have bought a captains hat for a guy at work, to say he's taking the boat racing seriously is an understatment. He has three laptops rigged up at home for his three boats.....

It's a proper bridge he has! :lol:

Lexx, did you ever hear about the container vessel "Valera"?

It was proper rubbish, you had to lash under deck too and mostly you were shin deep in water with rats swinning all around you in eerie lighting.

We are so glad it dosn't come here anymore.

Never heard of that one.

But I did sail on Sealands D9J class which were first generation boxboats built in the late 70's.

They all had underdeck lashings. Though at somepoint theyd had the sense to retrofit cellguides. The old lashing system was still down there rusting away though.

Stan - Most companies run "dry" ships now. No rum.

And as for interesting places.........one container terminal in the middle of nowhere looks very much like another container terminal in the middle of nowhere. Only the language of the stevadores, and the standard of the pilot/tugs change.

We were lucky if we got 12 hours in port when I was still deep sea! And Id be working a minimum of 6 of those! :surrender:

Lexx, did you ever hear about the container vessel "Valera"?

It was proper rubbish, you had to lash under deck too and mostly you were shin deep in water with rats swinning all around you in eerie lighting.

We are so glad it dosn't come here anymore.

Never heard of that one.

But I did sail on Sealands D9J class which were first generation boxboats built in the late 70's.

They all had underdeck lashings. Though at somepoint theyd had the sense to retrofit cellguides. The old lashing system was still down there rusting away though.

Stan - Most companies run "dry" ships now. No rum.

And as for interesting places.........one container terminal in the middle of nowhere looks very much like another container terminal in the middle of nowhere. Only the language of the stevadores, and the standard of the pilot/tugs change.

We were lucky if we got 12 hours in port when I was still deep sea! And Id be working a minimum of 6 of those! :surrender:

Understand mate its a bit like when you say your IT contracting and your in Milan one week then Norway the next then Paris - yeah great - but the only thing you see is airport lounges, buses,taxis and insides of boring offices working late every night! Not the life for me! :wacko:

What are lashings btw?? Not something pirates would do then? :headhurt:

For the uneducated -

*work Mode*

There are 3 main systems for lashing containers on a dedicated container vessel.

In the hold, cell guides are used.

These are vertical strips of steel running the height of the hold, exactly one container apart. Effectively allowing containers to be stacked on one another with movement.

On deck, the four corners of the container are secured to the one above and below (or the hatch if its the first height) by use of twistlocks.

I would find a pic for you if this net connection wasnt so crap

And finally you have lashing rods/bars which stretch from the corner of a box, down to bottlescrew securing points on the deck. By tightening the bottlescrew and placing tension onthe rods, you hold the contaier stack to the deck

*work mode off*

Hope that helps a little. I'll sort some pics out when I get home unless osmeone beats me to it

Thanks for the info Lexx.

:D

I see a lot of people have fond memories of being on or in lumps of steel splashing about on water..... unfortunately i dont have sea legs and feel dizzy just getting off an escalator!!! :wacko:

I guess its more about the characters you work with in that line of work......

It was great fun and a hell of a learning curve at 16.

Mosquito bar in Bangkok. Hong Kong bar in penang. And the biggest learning curve was Bugis Street in Singapore. :scare:

Ok Mart you cant just leav it there.............. tell us more!! :D

mayandchoy02.jpg