Tein bonnet dampers fitted.

AK350Z

Nothing much on today so decided to have a fiddle with my new Tein bonnet dampers from CS.

Kit looks good, very good quality bits. Jacked the car up rather than taking the wheel off to access the inside top of the arch.

001.jpg

Due to the placement of the arm, the battery and brake fluid covers have to be removed, the bonnet won't close properly with them in place after the lifters are fitted. I assume this is correct? It's a slight downside, but it might be worth considering if you've got flashy CF covers!

003.jpg

Drivers side:

002.jpg

Passenger side:

004.jpg

Overall i'm pleased, shame about the covers. I might have to look if they can be trimmed up to fit, unless i've done something wrong; answers on a postcard if so...

I've removed the bonnet support too, so theres no useless bit of gear at the front of the engine bay.

I have these and they are brilliant!!

I trimmed a 'groove' out of my covers so i could still use them as i didnt like the look of all the guts underneath being exposed. I stuck some masking tape on the covers and laid the struts on them in the position they would be when the bonnet is closed and ran a pen down each side. A quick trim with metal sheers (scissors) and the bonnet closed nicely ;):thumbs:

radiator in ya garage. Your Z is well looked after B)

Electric though, so expensive to run! was considering doing the garage out with insulated plasterboard or something later this year, it's a touch draughty at the minute!

Used the bolt shown with the arrow when I did mine

damper.jpg

Meant you can just trim the plastic with a stanley knife and refit the covers..

Bonnet does go quite high though.....

I think it depends on the make of strut you use as some are different lengths, i think the tein ones are the longest which is probably why if you mount them to the wing the bonnet goes quite high when opened.

Right! decided to get brave and break out the cutting tools :teeth:

Looking at the plastic bits, it seemed perfectly possible to cut a slot for the Teins:

005.jpg

I cut a slot out and gradually widened it until it fitted the damper. Hard to get a decent edge, so the final trim was a ruler, stanley knife and patience job.

I've done one, did end up scuffing it in a couple of places, but doesn't look too bad. Might try Stans black wax crayon trick, see if that helps.

006.jpg

Mate, looks fine and I bet the dampers drop nicely into the slots....

But! I would find some type of matt tape to seal the holes with, cause you will get rain / water getting in and those are 2 places in the bay you dont want water getting into as you may get issues.... just a thought!

You may want to try these guys too Jay

http://www.gasstrutengineering.co.uk/

They are in the UK, and make adjustable ones for front and rear so are good for frp and carbon. They used to sell through East Shore but you can go direct...

Have supplied a few guys on the other channel, Am just sorting some out for mine so my brand new NRG carbon ones will be up for grabs soon.

Oh by the way, the ends on the Teins can be prone to getting a bit of rust on them so a bit of wheel wax is a good idea :thumbs: