XBOX 360 & SAMSUNG LCD TV PROBS...

breay

Just thought id stick a post up about a strange problem im having with my Samsung LCD tv and my Xbox 360 Elite. Basically im running the 360 through an HDMI cable to the tv but when i turn the Xbox off the tv screen goes blank and then i get a red lined box appear on the tv for a second followed by a green lined box??? i cant change the channel or source and the only way to free the tv from this screen seems to be to turn it off at the wall and leave it for a few minutes to reset its self???

Ive been surviving by switching the source first (to freeview etc) before i switch the xbox off, but obviously its not normal, just wondering if any of you electronics guys could shed some light on how to stop it from happening???

Cheers

Ben :thumbs:

Sunds like a telly issue rather than a Xbox issue. What happens if you pull out the HDMI lead after you've turned the xbox off or you could try removing the HDMI lead before turning off just to see what happens. Just it allow to to then change channel. May be some auto detect setting on the telly

Well once the coloured boxes start flashing up it stays like it until i turn it off at the plug, ive tried pulling out the HDMI lead while its like this but it seems to just be stuck on that screen. Although i havnt tried pulling out the lead before i turn it off.

My tv has 2 HDMI inputs and ive swapped the Xbox HDMI from the first to the second input but it still happens. But the tv works perfectly otherwise through Blueray and Freeview. It could be a setting on the tv thats causing it but who knows??

HDMI is supposed to be a secure signal path and is supposed to be quite sensitive, so the TV might be throwing a fit because it thinks the HDMI signal has been intercepted/recorded somehow.

I think you might be on the right lines. I seem to rember that there is a problem with some Samsung TVs and XB360s around HDMI. Its about the signal switching and it gets it knickers in a twist. I think the XB360 might not termiate the connection properly and so the Sammy throws a fit. Do a bit of googling, I'm sure its out there :)

HDMI is supposed to be a secure signal path and is supposed to be quite sensitive, so the TV might be throwing a fit because it thinks the HDMI signal has been intercepted/recorded somehow.

I think you might be on the right lines. I seem to rember that there is a problem with some Samsung TVs and XB360s around HDMI. Its about the signal switching and it gets it knickers in a twist. I think the XB360 might not termiate the connection properly and so the Sammy throws a fit. Do a bit of googling, I'm sure its out there :)

Cheers Chris your the man!

that does make sense, ill see if i can find anything on the web to explain it :thumbs:

xbox 360 did a update a month back which addressed soome of the HD and HDMI issues. Thought it was more to do with the sound though. Have you been on live recently. Update should download automatically. Thought this update was more to do with the sound than vision though

I did a quick google and most of the issues seem to be around turning on rather than off. If you turn on the TV before the Xbox it doesnt do the handshake properly (part of HDCP or whatever its called) and so the TV doesnt select the input for the Xbox. Not seen anyting about turning off, but doesnt mean it wouldnt do something similar! Just make sure you turn over the TV chanel first or use component rather than HDMI. Also are there any settings fr HDCP in the Xbox setup? I dont have an Elite so no HDMI for me :blush:

Well done Mike, ill have a proper look into this later when im at home. With regards to the update, my Xbox has just come back from a little holiday to Germany after having the ring of death, so i had to do the update when i fired it up for the first time but the coloured box thing still happened.

Also with a Samsung LCD TV, you might need to update the firmware on that.

When I hooked up my Samsung, I checked for an update and there was one, even tho I had only unpacked it.

It should be able to download of the airwaves btw.

Magnet that could be a good idea! i might try that, i think mine has a ethernet connection. Ive had to update my blueray player 3 times in the last 6 months.