Preperation has begun for my next ICE project(Fitted)

nurrish

The List of Bits and Bobs:

Starting with head unit

Kenwood DPX303

DPX503U.jpg

Then for the Carputer i am using these:

Mimo UM-740 - Usb powered monitor just released

VoomPC Automotive PC Enclosure

OCZ 30GB 2.5" SATAII Solid Series Solid State Drive

Kingston 2GB DDR2 667MHz/PC2-5400 Memory

Intel Little Falls 2 with Integrated Intel Atom 330 Processor

M1-ATX - 90W Intelligent Car PSU

Globalsat BU353 USB GPS Receiver - SiRF Star III

Going to be installing centrafuse with windows xp. Also going to be installing a rear camera plus bluetooth.

So watch this space....... :teeth:

Sound like a nice setup! Why get a SSD though when a laptop drive would suffice for a tenth of the price?

Will have to google the monitor, sounds pretty handy

To be fair the drive is only 60 notes and i am going for no moving parts to maximize performance and stability. Plus SSD drives are fast as f&ck so should resume from sleep mode in an instant.

The monitor is sweet too. 1 cable to run to the usb port which provieds power and touch screen

Looking forward to the progress… :thumbs:

+1 - been itching for an excuse to mod mine. Currently has a massive 200GB drive in it which it doesnt need, will be good to see how the SSD runs as I've heard mixed reviews as to whether they are faster or not :)

With such a selection of random letters and numbers it must be good ;)

With such a selection of random letters and numbers it must be good ;)

Blimey think there is enough tech there to power a monkey to the moon! :lol: GEEKS! :)

Chris just dazzle em with the gear on your boat?! Just throw acronyms at them with a nautical twist? :D How is the boat btw? ;)

+1 - been itching for an excuse to mod mine. Currently has a massive 200GB drive in it which it doesnt need, will be good to see how the SSD runs as I've heard mixed reviews as to whether they are faster or not :)

I don't think I have actually seen a review which says they are that much faster (maybe 5%) but nothing that 'normal' business will really expose.

Will be intersting to see how it goes.

I don't think I have actually seen a review which says they are that much faster (maybe 5%) but nothing that 'normal' business will really expose.

The advantage of ssd disks in cars is the lower power consumption, no moving parts and faster data transfer (even if its marginal)

Depends on the drive....

If the SSd you buy has a JMicron controller overall it will be simlar in performance in general to a normal 7200rpm HDD. Avoid JMicron drives for media use, they regularly freeze for seconds at a time (bug in the controller design) so u will get stuttering music/video...

If you get the new drives with the intel controller, they are MUCH faster than a HDD in every way, read,write,seek,power use, but the intel controlled drives are VERY expensive atm.

Just a little update:

All my bits have now been ordered and they are being delivered on a daily basis

The pc i ended up buying was this

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&item=220347519988

Also went for a samsung 32gb ssd

I have drew up a little sketch of the general layout

IMAG0038-1.jpg

A little bit sad i know but there f*ck all else to do!!!!

Just a little update:

All my bits have now been ordered and they are being delivered on a daily basis

The pc i ended up buying was this

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&item=220347519988

Also went for a samsung 32gb ssd

I have drew up a little sketch of the general layout

IMAG0038-1.jpg

A little bit sad i know but there f*ck all else to do!!!!

That drawing looks like some technical stuff!

Stick the GPS under the strut brace plastic. Best place for it, good reception and hidden. If you pull off one of the top pieces to the side of the silver central strut, you will see a nice place to stick it. Also take the top cover off the GPS puck to get better reception still ;)

How are you powering the PC? I suggest running a cable direct from the battery. There is a hole in the firewall behind the battery, straight into the passenger footwell. Can run it down the passenger sill to the rear cubby nice and easy :)

Stick the GPS under the strut brace plastic. Best place for it, good reception and hidden. If you pull off one of the top pieces to the side of the silver central strut, you will see a nice place to stick it. Also take the top cover off the GPS puck to get better reception still ;)

How are you powering the PC? I suggest running a cable direct from the battery. There is a hole in the firewall behind the battery, straight into the passenger footwell. Can run it down the passenger sill to the rear cubby nice and easy :)

Good tip on the gps :thumbs:

I already have an amp under my glove box with a lead direct to the battery :thumbs:

A Mac Mini looks a lot neater :p

Looking good buddy, if you have any questions then me and Pingu both have built and installed carpc's

Thats it without the case buddy....looks real smart with the case one

I know, just joshing with ya :thumbs:

Hows the screen? Any problems so far?

A Mac Mini looks a lot neater :p

Looking good buddy, if you have any questions then me and Pingu both have built and installed carpc's

Thats it without the case buddy....looks real smart with the case one

I know, just joshing with ya :thumbs:

Well the screen is real nice and real responsive.......however it adds about another minute to the bootup time :headhurt: also when i come out of hibernate it lose's its touch screen. Havent tried to problem solve yet....tomorrow i shall get on the case.

Well the screen is real nice and real responsive.......however it adds about another minute to the bootup time :headhurt: also when i come out of hibernate it lose's its touch screen. Havent tried to problem solve yet....tomorrow i shall get on the case.

Yeah I did hear that about the boot up time. Very very strange as it just a USB device at the end of the day :dry:

On the case of losing the touch screen, what version of CF are you running? There was a problem with it in earlier versions where when it resumed, it didnt pick up the event from windows and didnt accept touch input. I have a resume pluging that sorts it, but on the newest version I beleive they have sorted it. Try heading over to the CF forums and look in the release notes :thumbs:

Yeah I did hear that about the boot up time. Very very strange as it just a USB device at the end of the day :dry:

On the case of losing the touch screen, what version of CF are you running? There was a problem with it in earlier versions where when it resumed, it didnt pick up the event from windows and didnt accept touch input. I have a resume pluging that sorts it, but on the newest version I beleive they have sorted it. Try heading over to the CF forums and look in the release notes :thumbs:

Im running 2.1 but i will have a look over on the forums. :thumbs: