Redlining - The Bad Version

RobbieB

Hey guys,

When ever I get a new car, I always try and work this out. To save me the pain, I am going to ask you experienced Z'ers.

When the needle on the petrol gauge is perfectly aligned with the red line (empty - or supposedly), how many miles have you got left roughly?

In my old car when it was empty it would do 50 miles, which annoyed me! :boxing:

Thanks.

Rob

This vastly depends on how you drive the car when the tank is "empty". I'd say there are a fair few miles left in it if you drive like a granny, say 50-60, but if you boot it all the way to the garage, you could probably drain it in a lot less than that! lol. :headhurt:

See I am such a Z amateur.

I completely forgot to check the trip computer. I constantly set it to MPH so I dont get 3 points! :scare:

In my defence I only got it last Friday, but everytime I sit in her I find something new! I need to have a good read through the handbook haha :wacko:

When you get low it automatically flashes up much like the temp when it's cold. One push and it's back to speedo.

Never really see it myself as I don't like to let it run that low!

+1 - my driving instructor told me when you get that low you get some of the nasty stuff from the bottom of the tank going through. Never really believed him but always try to stay clear of the red, wouldn't like the embarrassment of being caught short.

I find it really annoying that the fuel guage is connected to the computer too - I always think the gauge should be a straight analogue gauge showing you how much you have left in the tank not a guess on how much combined with what speed you have been doing recently.

+1 - took me a while to realise this when I just got the car. Thought it was very weird on a spirited drive to see the gauge drop low and DTE start flashing and then took it easy on the way home as it only had 20miles left and then it went back up and stopped flashing! :surrender:

I find it really annoying that the fuel guage is connected to the computer too - I always think the gauge should be a straight analogue gauge showing you how much you have left in the tank not a guess on how much combined with what speed you have been doing recently.

+1 - took me a while to realise this when I just got the car. Thought it was very weird on a spirited drive to see the gauge drop low and DTE start flashing and then took it easy on the way home as it only had 20miles left and then it went back up and stopped flashing! :surrender:

Ohhh. I always assumed it was an analogue gauge but it built up pressure of something :lol: So its linked to your DTE and MPG? Thats crap but at least I know why now.

+1 - my driving instructor told me when you get that low you get some of the nasty stuff from the bottom of the tank going through. Never really believed him but always try to stay clear of the red, wouldn't like the embarrassment of being caught short.

Never been on one of Stews highland routes then! :lol: Alex was running on vapour!

When my fuel shows on empty and I fill up it only fits around 40 - 45 litres in so I've probably got about 30 litres left. Fuel indicators are not very reliable so I always fill up in plently of time. . .and its not best to be sucking the dregs of petrol up form the bottom of the tank :thumbs:

I ran my landie REALLY low and choked the tank mounted fuel filter which is in amidst the pump.... it was fun fixing that outside my house.

I run both the cars to about a 1/4 min before filling up.

+1

Only for the Z though. I constantly play petrol light roulette in the vectra. Record so far is getting 57 litres into a 61 litre tank :)

I ran my landie REALLY low and choked the tank mounted fuel filter which is in amidst the pump.... it was fun fixing that outside my house.

+1

Only for the Z though. I constantly play petrol light roulette in the vectra. Record so far is getting 57 litres into a 61 litre tank :)

+2, On the mg all though it ant got a petrol light i have had it below the red line before :scare: , brings a hole new excitment into rushing and being late for work :lol:

+1

+2, On the mg all though it ant got a petrol light i have had it below the red line before :scare: , brings a hole new excitment into rushing and being late for work :lol:

Gets a bit worrying when the light starts flashing. I'll misjudge it one day & will be stuck somewhere :lol:

Cam very close once in the zed was in the middle of no where and had it down to flashing

----

ended up stopping, and taking a walk with me mate, into a village and finally found a petrol station :lol: , jerry can then the trek back, was quite funny, but was a lovely hot day so didnt mind :teeth: