Rewire fog light from reversing light - easy peasy...

stanski

Finally got round to rewiring one of the reversing lights to a fog light as requested a few months ago - easy peasy indeed - thanks especially to Marzman for advice on this sort of work - removed O/S tail light - easy...

Removed bulb holder and chopped wire back - wired in fog ligh switch to it and Bobs yer Auntie - a foglight ! Covered bulb in Red polyester film (I use this for leaded windows work) and 1 fog light!

Surprised how simple it was - but was worried I would have to remove rear bumper - which looked like a dog of a job!

Even adjusted the handbrake (again a forum advice special) so easy!

Just wanted to say thanks to the forum for advice on these things - makes owning the car a joy when you can do this kind of work yourself!

Next job sort the bodge headlights... I have an idea on how to make them brighter - watch this space! ;)

PS Blackfire wax still king managed to wash cars after a few months and they came up pristine and easy to wash the muck - that stuff really is the dogs! :thumbs:

Nice work Stan! Glad you didnt have to take the rear bumper off - that is a 'mare!

Strange that you did it today - yesterday i actually re-wired my headlights to be HID again as we'd discussed!! ...It was a very simple job, so if you find out if the ballasts are still attached then you could take that route too...

+1 on doing it yourself too - way better than handing over money that could be spent on mods instead! :)

Nice work Stan! Glad you didnt have to take the rear bumper off - that is a 'mare!

Strange that you did it today - yesterday i actually re-wired my headlights to be HID again as we'd discussed!! ...It was a very simple job, so if you find out if the ballasts are still attached then you could take that route too...

+1 on doing it yourself too - way better than handing over money that could be spent on mods instead! :)

Thanks Chris . The ballasts are still there but both not working. The thing I have noticed is with the H7? bulb that is fitted the light is wasted too much by going to the side and hence lights up the kerb well but not enough going through the convex lens so idea is to shield sides of bulb hence diverting the light. On mine the lamp is totally shieded so Nissan must have come to same conclusion !!!!

lets see how this goes ....

Are you definitely sure they're not working? My wires were chopped and changed slightly to make the H7 bulbs work, so i just undid all of this and put it back to how it should be - then it worked perfectly... Its unlikely that both ballasts would stop working... mine have been disconnected since 2003 and they worked straight away for me this weekend.

When I first looked at the units - I checked the wiring and what bodge job had been done - they wired in the H7 holder into the old wiring loom with those crappy crimp on connectors that break into the wire?

I used Stew's bulbs in both sides and checked with both bulbs on each headlamp and neither worked ?

I did think it was strange that both sides should go thought about fuses but then the H7 would'nt work as they use the same wiring and switch etc but it was a rush job and it was gettgin dark -priority was a set of bulbs that worked - so maybe your right?

The H7's I got are Ring high power ones and they are very bright indeed but they need to divert the beam to the front and less to the side - I noticed on the proper bulbs they have a metal strip either side - probably to help divert the light - oh well thats the next job - Will get the H7's working better and re-test the original wiring... when cash allows get them back in? Still think the headlights are pants a bogo Fiesta has better lights! :lol:

Alright, give me a shout when you're next on it and i'll be able to talk you though how the wires should go when you've got it in your hand (no use now as you'll not know what im on about!)

Also, got to say that mine are MUCH brighter now...

Cheers

Chris.

Alright, give me a shout when you're next on it and i'll be able to talk you though how the wires should go when you've got it in your hand (no use now as you'll not know what im on about!)

Also, got to say that mine are MUCH brighter now...

Cheers

Chris.

Thanks Matey will do appreciate it :thumbs:

Reet next job get 900bhp from carrot juice and chilli powder! :lol: