Request for holiday advice: France Gites ?

stanski

Hi folks

We are thinking of a nice Zed holiday en France this summer.

So after spending many a frustrated hour on t'internet thought I would ask the pro's...

Can anyone recommend a nice part of France for a relaxing holiday with sight seeing (not a beach holiday) with the following nice to haves:

• Self catering Gite (with outside space and not too near the great unwashed)
    Nice quiet rural location to stay? (for 2 people + Zed)
    Not too far from a town so we can wander over and sample the wine and local produce without driving?
    Things to do and see in the area (eg architechture/castles/beaches)
    Prepared to drive south as far as Bordeaux
    2 locations 1 week in each
    Not Normandy or Paris

Thanks in advance?

P.S. If your really unlucky I will write another guide with lots of pictures on return! :lol:

Can well recommend the Vendee region Stan, just a couple of hours south of Nantes. Drove there a few years back and stopped in a nice gite inland with about a 20 minute drive to some faboulous beaches, if you dont want beaches there are some very nice inland lakes to take a dip in. ;)

But the gite was in a very rural location and very quiet, but you had lots of towns near by. ;)

More info here

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vend%C3%A9e

Sounds like you want something surprisingly similar to a certain chalet in a rural scottish town :p

You swine!! :lol: We are scarred for life after that in fact we stopped looking at the Gites of France website as we had scary flashbacks everytime we saw something resembling a Chalet!! :scare::surrender:

Thanks Beavis I know what you mean about the Vendee region - camped there 2 years ago (first trip driving in France) so fancied somewhere else (sorry should have mentioned) :blush:

Stan,

hen I joined the company I'm with the training school was in the south east in a town called Pau. Fantastic place. It's at the base of the Pyrenees which is stunning. You are close to Toulouse, Biaritz etc. Also you can pop to Spain very easily to visit San Sebastian etc.

I also spent half of last year working there. Some great roads and lots of historic sites about.

I said to Jayne I'd ove to take the Zed all along the south of France including this region.

It's a little different to the norm too.

Thanks Gentlemen :thumbs:

Discerning does'nt enter into it mate - its more like basics! i,e heat, clean, dry, no mould, or sick round the toilet rim!! :yuck:

Thanks Beavis will check out Peireguers looks very nice indeed? :)

Stew - funny you should mention that area, we were looking around Bordeaux last night - we had the same idea about popping over to Spain - just wondering about the drive down there - its a 2 day job is'nt it?

So maybe week 1 down there and the second week more up North so closer to the ferry? ( I dunno Loiure valley)

Hmm ok will do more research tonight - please keep those ideas rolling in.

One thing the ferries are cheap at the mo - we can get a return sailing for £86! ;)

Thanks I can taste the wine already...

:thumbs:

Stew - funny you should mention that area, we were looking around Bordeaux last night - we had the same idea about popping over to Spain - just wondering about the drive down there - its a 2 day job is'nt it?

To go to San Sebastian from Pau it's easily done there and back in a day. It's only 2 - 3 hours drive. Done it in an Espace and a Carvalle mini van - same as yours with windows!

The rest of Spain - no idea. I think the South West is very underated as everyone goes East with the posers!

Top stuff folks :D Chalet.... Mart.... Chalet ..... :scare:

Only problem with Spain are the drivers are'nt they and us in a shiny Zed (easy prey for waggons!) :surrender:

We are actually considering taking the van instead (fit more wine in the back!) but the lack of aircon and no removable roof does'nt make this option less attractive shall we say! :wacko:

This is the Quercy region where my parents live. The rural south west area around here (mid pyrenees) is beautiful. There are lots of places to see in terms of architecture and fortified villages etc. It's stunning - especially if you go during sunflower season and the fields are full of them.

http://www.frenchentree.com/france-lot-quercy-news/