Burning smell in an 05 with 10k on the clock????

nurrish

So the last few days iv'e noticed a burning of rubber smell in the cabin. Not all the time just occasionally. i have smelt it 3 times in 5 days....

Is it the clutch? Warranty issue? if it is the clutch should i buy an up-rated clutch?

Anyone had this issue? I have searched but wanting a newer opinion plus my car has only done just over 10,000 miles!!!

ta

I have had the same smell when it has been icy.I traced it to spinning the back wheels too much :blush: Makes a right stink inside.

O right thanks for that put my mind at ease a little. Not sure it worth mentioning this but i have just had a look under the bonnet and ontop of the plenum there are some black rubbery spots that look burnt that just come off....maybe something may have been in my engine bay thus burning hence the smell?? hope so

I have had the same smell when it has been icy.I traced it to spinning the back wheels too much :blush: Makes a right stink inside.

O right thanks for that put my mind at ease a little. Not sure it worth mentioning this but i have just had a look under the bonnet and ontop of the plenum there are some black rubbery spots that look burnt that just come off....maybe something may have been in my engine bay thus burning hence the smell?? hope so

Look, this may be totally innocuous, but I had an odd smell which I got used to, no obvious fault visyally or instrumentation wise ,and 4 months later, having got used to a dodgy Rad cap letting small amounts of hot vapour into the bay, ended up paying £2k for a replacement Head gasket.

Get it checked! properly!

Look, this may be totally innocuous, but I had an odd smell which I got used to, no obvious fault visyally or instrumentation wise ,and 4 months later, having got used to a dodgy Rad cap letting small amounts of hot vapour into the bay, ended up paying £2k for a replacement Head gasket.

were you running the turbo at the time. May be under different stresses to the OP.

were you running the turbo at the time. May be under different stresses to the OP.

Yes, but I wasn't suggesting that there was necessarily anything in common, just that you can't afford to ignore 'odd' smells or signs of something not quite right. Or if you do, you do so at your peril. :blush:

• 3 months later...

i get a burning rubber like smell coming through the vents too but it only ever seems to be when im giving the car some beans. not sure where it's coming from but i think i might get it checked out. i was gonna book it in soon anyway as the belt is slipping when starting it up, not sure if thats got anything to do with it

i get a burning rubber like smell coming through the vents too but it only ever seems to be when im giving the car some beans. not sure where it's coming from but i think i might get it checked out. i was gonna book it in soon anyway as the belt is slipping when starting it up, not sure if thats got anything to do with it

Wont be the timing belt bud as its chain driven.