misty passenger headlight

pturbo

Is it condensation or is it the plastic that has clouded up? Can you see water droplets?

I have a spare headlight as it clouded up so i replaced it - and its not moisture. As it happens i bought some clear plastic cleaner at lunch today to see if it'll shift it, so i'll post before and after results tonight! :thumbs:

Meh. That was a waste of money. This Plastix stuff has done nothing! Im not even gonna bother posting pictures.

Either that means the hazing is on the inside of the lens, or its just useless... :dry:

I may be taking the headlight unit apart this weekend, so i'll try it on the inside then...

My mate had similar on his FTO.

On those a fix was to rub down the light cluster with VERY fine sandpaper, 1500 - 2500 grit, then use some tcut or similar to bring it back clear.

Worked a treat on his lights, so its something you could consider maybe?

• 3 weeks later...

Hey, i finally got round to getting the pics off my phone... i did end up taking the headlight unit apart - just for fun in the end. It turns out the the hazing is on the inside of the lens.

I rubbed the plastix cream onto the inside for about 10 mins, and you can see how good the results are :thumbs:

I cant say whether this will stay clear if re-fitted, as i wont be refitting mine - and also note that its decidedly difficult to melt the headlight unit apart...! Its do-able, but took me well over an hour!!

See the pics, before - half done - and after...!

cloudyheadlight.jpg

halfheadlight.jpg

clearheadlight.jpg

Hey, i finally got round to getting the pics off my phone... i did end up taking the headlight unit apart - just for fun in the end. It turns out the the hazing is on the inside of the lens.

I rubbed the plastix cream onto the inside for about 10 mins, and you can see how good the results are :thumbs:

I cant say whether this will stay clear if re-fitted, as i wont be refitting mine - and also note that its decidedly difficult to melt the headlight unit apart...! Its do-able, but took me well over an hour!!

So just how long at what temp did it take? I've been curious about this for ages. I've also seen that you should stand the light on wet cardboard in the oven ?

So just how long at what temp did it take? I've been curious about this for ages. I've also seen that you should stand the light on wet cardboard in the oven ?

I used a black&decker paint stripper and went round the edges of the light. The glue is thick black messy stuff. You cant use anything to pry it apart, you have to simply pull with your fingers.

I honestly wouldnt recommend doing it - unless you're prepared to go and buy a new light, ad there's a high probability of balls-ing it up!! :lol:

i mostly use the heat gun on a medium temperature , if you use the oven procedure you need to remove all the wiring and powerpack.

if you need any advice give me a shout

Paul