Voltage

Jammy007

I've got a wireless modem/router that I want to use over xmas (kindly lent to me by a friend) but it required a DV power adaptor which is 9v & 1A.

The lead he gave me is a 12v 500mA which I'm unsure about. Is this ok or will it blow either the adaptor or the router?

I've also been given another lead by an IT guy at work and thats a 9v 500mA which he says should work but may run a little hot.

I've tried this adaptor and it does indeed run hot. Is this unsafe as I don't want my house on fire over xmas.

Help please guys as I need this thing up and running by tonight

Beavis would be the best man but if it's a 500mA cable and the router is drawing 1A then it will get very hot.

If in doubt then don't run it. A router is normally plugged in and left running so it will overheat and at best fail. At worst burst into flames.....

The 9v 3A will be fine, aslong as the power connector is the same.

As long as the output voltage matchs, and the current is large enough, then its fine.

In this case your 9v 3A supply would be ideal, it wont put out 3A, its just capable of delivering 3A.

much better to use this than stress the 500mA one.

The 9v 3A will be fine, aslong as the power connector is the same.

As long as the output voltage matchs, and the current is large enough, then its fine.

In this case your 9v 3A supply would be ideal, it wont put out 3A, its just capable of delivering 3A.

much better to use this than stress the 500mA one.

+1 Same voltage and rated for higher current, i'll be fine marra!