Please help me make my stock JDM look better ;-)

nate247

I thought that might be the general consensus... I think my old man used Hammerite paint on my old Golf GTI MKII a few years back.

With the fact I have tan seats and am looking at getting the bright Orange front reflectors. I'm tempted to paint the calipers bright orange as well. Have a sort of Silver and Orange theme running through the car...

I do like the thought of 19" rims as well. Was looking on eBay today and my current wheels (WolfRace Shark 18") seem to be fetching around £600 inc tyres. How costly would upgrading the brakes at the same time be?

I'm guessing a fair amount :-(

I feel like a kid in a sweetshop that just needs a bit or direction as at the moment I feel like scoffing / buying everything :-) lol

Don't let peoples opinions stop you bud. It's YOUR car.

I don't like the covers either but that's me. I have brembos so have something nice to look at behind the wheel. The foliatec kits for painting calipers seem to be ok and don't discolour with heat too much.

You can upgrade to 19s cheap enough if you aren't too worried about brand names or weight of the wheel.

The brakes are pricey and unless you track the car a lot probably unnecessary. Look at upgrading the pads and that'll make a big difference.

There is an infinite amount of parts available. Sit back, take stock and decide what look you want to go for.

I like the idea of the orange theme actually, sounds good!

I thought that might be the general consensus... I think my old man used Hammerite paint on my old Golf GTI MKII a few years back.

With the fact I have tan seats and am looking at getting the bright Orange front reflectors. I'm tempted to paint the calipers bright orange as well. Have a sort of Silver and Orange theme running through the car...

I do like the thought of 19" rims as well. Was looking on eBay today and my current wheels (WolfRace Shark 18") seem to be fetching around £600 inc tyres. How costly would upgrading the brakes at the same time be?

I'm guessing a fair amount :-(

I feel like a kid in a sweetshop that just needs a bit or direction as at the moment I feel like scoffing / buying everything :-) lol

Hey mate i painted my jdm callipers red using hammerite! Easy job to do and 3 coats does the trick :thumbs: Done mine about 6 months ago and still look great :teeth:

i used the foliatec on my last car, good stuff.

looked like new even after 2 years of solid use.

just make sure you don't use it in temperatures under about 15 degrees as it never hardens.

i did mine in the winter, and i had to set up 4 heaters in the garage, and use a heat lamp to help them dry. it worked but was a hassle.

you could also find decals and add them to the calipers.

i added TRD ones to my mr2

Great advise thank you Stew and thanks Jay, rbiscuit and Adam. RE the lights Adam, its actually the Xenon ones I have. Presumably these performance wise are not much different to the newer ones or are they?

Thanks again everyone for helping me (a relative car modding novice). Never fails to amaze me just what a friendly bunch you all are here.

Only been a member a month or so and despite never having been to a car meet before, I can't wait to go to my first and put a few faces to names (plus gawk at your pristine motors with envious eyes) :teeth: lol

Is you name down for Wales????

;)

Always glad to help.

Oh, the light that comes out the later Xenons is MUCH better. If I didn't have custom lights I'd change to these.

Don't worry about sticking up links for things you've been looking at for some input on quality etc.

I do genuinely appreciate it buddy, yours and everybody's input.

I have been so busy on other threads that I seem to have missed this Wales meet. I will take a look in that section now. I have my name for the Bristol one whenever that happens...

Oh and a quick message for Paul. I have just bought those clear lens's from CinCity for my existing lights instead of whole new lights.

I think I am definately going to go with a silver and orange theme with the car and feel the older style Xenon's will lend themselves better to this with the orange indicator parts.

I'd still like to put some daytime running lights on them though and tried getting them to reveal what LED's they use (with little joy). they were very coy about things (I guess with good reason) but if you are happy to plan a mod with me I would be eternally grateful...

Off to find some orange paint for the brake calipers now... :thumbs:

Cheers buddy... also found this http://www.teamtorquesteer.co.uk/05-foc ... paint.html

I think the Focus orange would be a great look on the calipers as thats the Orange I have in mind, although that foliatec stuff looks pretty good as well.

Once I get it I will have a set of pads from you as well CS... Are the redstuff ones about the best for a JDM 350z?

Cheers buddy... also found this http://www.teamtorquesteer.co.uk/05-foc ... paint.html

I think the Focus orange would be a great look on the calipers as thats the Orange I have in mind, although that foliatec stuff looks pretty good as well.

Once I get it I will have a set of pads from you as well CS... Are the redstuff ones about the best for a JDM 350z?

I LOVE focus orange. That'd look sweet.

Just realised the stuff I posted is Foliatec... what a plonker :-( lol

Unless it is a different shade (which I don't think it is)...

I think it’ll be the same shade bud… :thumbs:

The price directly from Foliatec is great, as most places tend to charge around £22.00/23.00 for the kit with delivery on top…

Easy wheel off, Take the calipers off and spray! Or be lazy and mask the wheel arch etc off and just spray job done! Just make sure your doing it in a warm place and give it plenty layers of paint oh and remember to clean the calipers before spraying lol ;) ! I put the car in my garage and had heaters round it lol :teeth:

Awesome guys... thanks for that.

Presumably you jack the car up wheel by wheel, take the calipers off then put the wheels back on whilst you paint, then repeat the process once dry and put the newly furnished calipers back on (wheel by wheel)?

Sorry to sound dense but I really have never done anything like this before :blush:

Awesome guys... thanks for that.

Presumably you jack the car up wheel by wheel, take the calipers off then put the wheels back on whilst you paint, then repeat the process once dry and put the newly furnished calipers back on (wheel by wheel)?

Sorry to sound dense but I really have never done anything like this before :blush:

:lol: Yeh dude as stew said try get some axle stands, so you can paint two calipers at the same time! But if you dont just use a jack, but will take you a bit of time :thumbs:

A lot of people opt for an aftermarket front lip and spoiler to begin with. A set of wheels can totaly make or break the car and are usually the most expensive mod so take time in choosing :thumbs:

You could always pay us a visit and see what we have lying around :teeth:

Fletch

East Shore Racing