house renovating question

nixy

still doing up our house and have purchased the main stuff already ages ago. Done one bathroom up which has a shower and bath in it. The stuff we got for our ensuite has not been put in yet. It's a big ensuite not your usual tiny shower room. As I am more of a bath person and have the option of the shower in the main bathroom I bought a really big freestanding bath with a telescopic shower attachment which pulls out of the bath just so I could still shower my hair. However, the house is now going to be for sale when finished so my question is this:

As it's now not for myself but to be sold, should I attempt to take the bath back and put a shower in instead? Will that appeal more to the mass market?

so that would mean changing the bath to one where I can put a shower over as well. Can't do that with the bath i've bought as it's not flush to the walls. It's such a hassle having to mess about with stuff I've already bought but I guess if it gets the house sold quicker............. :wacko:

Not absolutely sure about appealing to the market, and it depends on the size of your ensuite.

You already have a bath so a shower I think would suffice, however another idea is to take the freestanding bath back and install one of the packages from a local merchant that fits flush and put a mixer on that.

Personally I would leave the bath in. From all the property programmes I'm forced to watch it seems that showers are ideal and the bath could limit your market a little bit but I'd have thought someone would see it as a feature and it could push someone towards buying your house over another :thumbs:

As you have a seperate family bathroom that has a bath, you may wish to consider a good sized walk-in shower/wet room for your en-suite - many out there to suit budgets all budgets. That is favourite for folk in the southeast at least ;)

My folks have a double shower in their ensuite.

I think it's ace.

They did have another bathroom upstairs with a bath and another shower however it was standard size.

I personally would be put off with an ensuite with a bath as I like a shower however Jayne would love it. If you could fit both (space dependant) then you'd be onto a winner. Even make it a wet room with a bath....... Not sure on bidget for that though!

I'm not sure what advice to give you, Nixy. Maybe a picture of you using the shower over the bath would help us to decide! :D:D:D

Seriously, though - the wet room seems to be the most popular contemporary choice these days, and you will be selling at a very difficult time in the market.

There's always one - and it's usually you!

Thanks - I always try my best!

Wet rooms are usually a no no for upstairs - too risky with leaking etc and too expensive to do well!

Yes - I think you have a point about leakage - my neighbour has been trying to install one recently, and it has taken ages to get it sealed properly. Maybe you should just stick to your original plan.

There's always one - and it's usually you!

Wet rooms are usually a no no for upstairs - too risky with leaking etc and too expensive to do well!

Here is a link to help you about installing a wet room ('tanking' with prices) - see pages 70-71. Their enclosures can be pricey (they are good) but the installation guide might help your concerns about it being done upstairs ;)

http://www.roman-showers.com/virtual-brochure.aspx