Question about a potential new car

ireynolds

Hi guys,

Just been to see a 350z, as im looking to get one.

ITs a UK spec with full electric everything.

While sitting in it, and driving all was fine and was much better than any others ive seen....body work / engine wise.

Just when it was parked up the engine temps grew. to just below the red line....but didnt go into it.

The owner contacted their mechanic friend, and he suggested it may be an airlock where the 350z has been sitting on the driveway for ages etc.

could this be feasible? Is it a possible problem? or could it be a sticky thermostat?

The other thing is the bottle that looked to me to be the expansion tank (coolant) had a lid missing, but it wasnt extremely hot or bubbling or anything.

It has full service history, and nothing major was mentioned.

Any help would be great.

Thanks

Ian

Best thing to do is look in the bottle and see how much fluid there is in there. It should sit about 2 inchs deep.

Then squeeze the big pipe that runs off the left hand side of the rad. If there is air in the system you might see evidence of fluid or air in the expension tank...

It could be something easy like they have forgotten to put the cap back on, but then again it could be something else...

Its not so much a buyers market like the above have been saying, you could find one that looks ok with no temp issues (this isnt a common thing BTW) and it could break down a few days later after a good cover up job...

I take it its a private sale? As with any purchase, best to get someone who knows what they are on about and get them to check it out.

Where in the UK are you?

Thanks for all the info.

Everything else with the car seems pretty good shape. has all service stamps etc...and seems a good example.

I will take a mechanic with me for a second look....and try as you suggested. The tank with no cap wasnt full, there was as you say around two inches of water in it, and it wasnt boiling or steaming with the lid off.

Im in London.

it could be an honest mistake and the top has accidentally been left off causing the problem, i wouldnt walk away just because of that to be honest, that seems a dramatic reaction

feel the hose at the bottom of the radiator and at the top, they should be a similar temp, if not this would indicate an air lock, also near the bulk head feel the pipes that go into the heater matrix (this is popular for an air lock and have been known to need to be back flushed, can make a noise)

most important is to take the oil cap off and check for mayo (this would indicate a costly head gasket).........then walk away ;)

check the colour of the coolant, if its clear, it has been topped up regularly indicating a problem

did you notice if the heater was hot or cold ?

most important is to take the oil cap off and check for mayo (this would indicate a costly head gasket).........then walk away ;)

I'd be concerned about exactly this. Definately take a mechanically minded person along to look at the car with you. I have seen in the past someone leaving the lid off the coolant tank to try to cover up a head gasket failure on an old rover... This lets the excess pressure leak out through the expansion tank, rather than bursting a hose...but it can't hide the temperature increase.

Hopefully it's a genuine mistake & simple air lock, but either way don't buy this car without the fault being rectified and the temperature coming down to normal (below half-way).

Steve