Bit of fun yesterday...RS6....350z.....Mini Cooper S works

NWZ

While on my journey to work yesterday I witnessed an old shape Audi RS6 being followed by a 350z and then Mini Cooper S Works.

I wasn't surprised that the RS6 had fantastic performance and it gained quiet a lot on the zed but the Mini kept up with the zed but didn't gain at all.... I know the 0-60 is 6.5 on the Mini but surprising that .5 of a second doesn't make any difference... I know about the power to weight ratio and how much fuel the driver was carrying etc...but I bet the mini wasn't doing low 20 mpg's during this spirited moment :lol:

I wonder if the driver of the zed is on this forum? :thumbs: I was in a Pathfinder at the time.

Have you considered that not all of the drivers will have been driving to the full potential (and speed) the car is capable of.

Even if the Mini was faster on paper (which by the looks of it, it isn't) at the end of the day it is still a mini :)

While on my journey to work yesterday I witnessed an old shape Audi RS6 being followed by a 350z and then Mini Cooper S Works.

I wasn't surprised that the RS6 had fantastic performance and it gained quiet a lot on the zed but the Mini kept up with the zed but didn't gain at all.... I know the 0-60 is 6.5 on the Mini but surprising that .5 of a second doesn't make any difference... I know about the power to weight ratio and how much fuel the driver was carrying etc...but I bet the mini wasn't doing low 20 mpg's during this spirited moment :lol:

I wonder if the driver of the zed is on this forum? :thumbs: I was in a Pathfinder at the time.

Current gen MINI or last gen? I was only getting 25 mpg day to day with a last gen MCS so the equivalent Works would probably dip below 20 mpg at full chat.

The MINIs are fast but sounds like the Zed driver may not have been on top of his game.

Depends on so many things. Depends if the Mini had been fettled any more than just being a Works. They pack quite a lot of punch and in a straight line they will probably give the Zed a good run for its money. The Zed isnt all that quick for what it is, and could certainly have been designed better (i.e. more power, less weight).

At the end of the day its all about the driver. I had a run in with an RS4 when I had only had my Zed for a few months, and on the straight, he mullered me, but when we got to some local twisties I left him for dead. Equally, my mate drives some right sheds, but used to be into rallying (and so is his dad) and he leaves me behind no matter what hes driving as he knows his limits and they are way beyond mine! He outran me down the local twisties in a 1.2l Clio when I was in my old Leon Cupra :blush:

Depending on the kit in the cooper and the distinct possibility of FI or chipping / injectors I am not suprised the cooper was up with him... Could be up to 265bhp with a bit of money spent...

Also as said it depends if the driver was gunning it or just having a bit of a laugh...

BMW 5 series smokers are the bain of my life at the moment, 1 cause they have a huge amount of torque and also the ones that like to drive them fast generally dont know how to drive... One of the worst things when having a play is when the other party can make mistakes easy esp when going into the twisties...

i test drove the supercharged version,

dead esy to tune up to well over 200 bhp.

a giggle to drive, but just couldn't get on with the interior. and the fact that its FWD.

anything over 200 bhp and still front wheel is starting to lack.

prime example was the alfa 147 GTA (hot hatch with 240 bhp) FWD and the traction control kicked in all the time.

prime example was the alfa 147 GTA (hot hatch with 240 bhp) FWD and the traction control kicked in all the time.

Wasnt that the one that Clarkson test drove and the torque steer near as damn it took him off the track? Looked like a monster!

With the new Focus RS, Ford reportidly have made FWD a lot better with respect to putting over 200BHP through the front wheels. It used to be that more than 200BHP in FWD was a no no, but apparently they have some new trick diff and stuff that sorts it out. Will be interesting to see it when it comes out.

Wasnt that the one that Clarkson test drove and the torque steer near as damn it took him off the track? Looked like a monster!

Correct, but it was a lovely car

With the new Focus RS, Ford reportidly have made FWD a lot better with respect to putting over 200BHP through the front wheels. It used to be that more than 200BHP in FWD was a no no, but apparently they have some new trick diff and stuff that sorts it out. Will be interesting to see it when it comes out.

quite possible, but for me the more gadgets you add in to compensate the further away you get from a natural driving feel.

and for me regardless of gismo's the best set up is "rear wheels push, front wheels steer"

i was always told something that does 2 jobs never does them as well as something that is designed for an individual job.

that and FWD caqs understeer like a bitch regardless of power and tools.

i'd rather oversteer than understeer, far more fun, easier to correct .

most of the time :blush: