Cheap Freesat

Beavis

You can also use it with sky, but you would need a dual lnb unless the sky box's have a lnb loop through. :)

Or in laymans terms change the bit that looks at the dish for one that as two outputs.

Very nice watching BBC HD on my 42 inch panny. B)

You can also use it with sky, but you would need a dual lnb unless the sky box's have a lnb loop through. :)

Or in laymans terms change the bit that looks at the dish for one that as two outputs.

Doesnt that mean that you can use Sky+ properly though as that requires the two inputs, and i believe it changes the signal but altering the voltage? Or can you use a splitter and have the two feeds going into one connetion to the dish?

Doesnt that mean that you can use Sky+ properly though as that requires the two inputs, and i believe it changes the signal but altering the voltage? Or can you use a splitter and have the two feeds going into one connetion to the dish?

Good point Louis, in that case you would need a quad lnb for that situation. :thumbs:

Good spot. Prices are falling which is good to see. Very tempted to take the punt now I can get that and the dish for under £200. Anyone know someone cheap I can get the dish from and installed? ;)

Also any news on the Foxsat recorder? I got my sights set on that when its available B)

Also any news on the Foxsat recorder? I got my sights set on that when its available B)

Supposed to be released soon from what i have read. Was not too bothered about that as i have a Panasonic dvd/hd recorder.

Just need a tv with more hdmi sockets now :surrender:

Supposed to be released soon from what i have read. Was not too bothered about that as i have a Panasonic dvd/hd recorder.

Just need a tv with more hdmi sockets now :surrender:

I hear end of Nov @ about £300 ;)

Loftbox £45

LNB £20...

But an LNB wont distribute FM, Digital TV, Sky Sat, CCTV cameras etc etc :)

Not really bothered about the distrobution of other stuff as I already have cabling for it or no need for it. Would only be interested in FreeSat :thumbs:

Neither are massively expesive though, so thats good to know.

so in major Laymans terms what do I need to get free HD tv?

This box for £115

A dish - where can I get one and how much are we looking at?

Is that it?

I really like the idea of this but I have nothing at the moment that I can use (no dish, loftbox or anything else) so Im wondering how much would this cost me to buy all the bits and have them installed - or is it easy enough to install it myself?

Thanks.

You need the box, dish and the installation. Argos do installation with the box for £80 extra, so I guess to get someone in to do it would cost about the same. Thats why I said it would cost about £200. Very tempting considering what I spent on the TV to get HD and then not use it for anything other than xbox! :lol:

Or!!! You can get a used dish off ebay for about £20 fit it yourself, used skybox off ebay for £20 (may not be one with HDMI!) and then phone Sky and get a freesat card for £20... You will also need some shielded cable!

If you need a hand fitting, give me a shout!

Yes very easy to get a dish of ebay and fit it yourself ;)

The only problem is knowing where to point it, but you can go off other houses for that, then just play about with it. :)

And Chris thats why i got one because apart from the xbox360 i had yet to see an hd channel on my full hd tv. :thumbs:

The only problem is knowing where to point it, but you can go off other houses for that, then just play about with it. :)

Lived in Prague for a couple of years about 13 years ago and was lucky enough to be one of the only ones with sky... Thunder storm one night with high winds blew the dish out, so went to the roof with 2 bits of string, tied them to it, dropped them down, went back to lounge and tried to position in, guess what, didnt work...

Then tried going back and forth between the roof and my flat and moving the dish a bit at a time... Doh!

So went next door to neighbour who was about 95 and didnt speak english and I didnt speak czech that well but managed to communicate that I wanted her to sit there and wait for the picture to come on, whilst I was on the roof... And we would communicate via phone with me being on a mobile... (The Mobile was a UK one by the way...) so first attempt,

I go to roof, call my land line... Nothing... I get off roof, go down 6 flights of stairs (no lift) explain again that its me on the phone and she needs to answer it.. She thought it was for me...

To roof again. Call, No answer... back down... She had gone back to her flat...

To roof again. Call, No answer... Back down... Shes cleaning my kitchen!

To roof again, call, ANSWER... move dish slightly, I say OK? She say OK. Great I thought, run down stairs, get to flat, she has changed the channel to analog and her afternoon soap!!

Loads more to add here (Another 4 runs up and down stairs)... But! Eventually we managed to communicate and align it.....

Moral of the story... get the help of someone who knows what they are doing...

Lived in Prague for a couple of years about 13 years ago and was lucky enough to be one of the only ones with sky... Thunder storm one night with high winds blew the dish out, so went to the roof with 2 bits of string, tied them to it, dropped them down, went back to lounge and tried to position in, guess what, didnt work...

Then tried going back and forth between the roof and my flat and moving the dish a bit at a time... Doh!

So went next door to neighbour who was about 95 and didnt speak english and I didnt speak czech that well but managed to communicate that I wanted her to sit there and wait for the picture to come on, whilst I was on the roof... And we would communicate via phone with me being on a mobile... (The Mobile was a UK one by the way...) so first attempt,

I go to roof, call my land line... Nothing... I get off roof, go down 6 flights of stairs (no lift) explain again that its me on the phone and she needs to answer it.. She thought it was for me...

To roof again. Call, No answer... back down... She had gone back to her flat...

To roof again. Call, No answer... Back down... Shes cleaning my kitchen!

To roof again, call, ANSWER... move dish slightly, I say OK? She say OK. Great I thought, run down stairs, get to flat, she has changed the channel to analog and her afternoon soap!!

Loads more to add here (Another 4 runs up and down stairs)... But! Eventually we managed to communicate and align it.....

Moral of the story... get the help of someone who knows what they are doing...

You think thats hard try setting a multi sat set up like i have from 42 degrees east to 45 degrees west and tracking the polar arc and picking up about 32 sat positions in between. Fixed dish? Phaahh peice of cake. ;):lol:

The humax recorder is supposedly due out this month for £300, as has been mentioned - gives you all the sky+ features (pausing live TV; recoding two progammes at once etc) so am now waiting for that. Dosen't have all the channels you get from Sky (but not being a footie fan dosen't bother me) but with as well Freeview means you get most. :thumbs:

http://www.maplin.co.uk/Search.aspx?cri ... &source=15

Maplins sell these things but someof them are quite pricey.

How about the splitter at the bottom of the page? Would that work?

http://www.maplin.co.uk/Search.aspx?cri ... &source=15

Maplins sell these things but someof them are quite pricey.

How about the splitter at the bottom of the page? Would that work?

Have a look on ebay Jim ;)

Get one of these ;) Good make and quality.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/SMART-TITANIUM-TQ ... 240%3A1318

No splitter wont work.Need to be independant.

So dish, cable, quad LNB off ebay and away we go? This sounds like a new tempting plan. All my neighbours in the row of houses all have Sky, we're the only one where the previous owner had cable. So should be easy to get the position right off them ;)