none working windscreen washer jets

neo

not used my windscreen washer jets for a while, come to use them today and they don't spray at all :surrender:

the headlight and rear ones work fine.

looked under the bonnet, lifted the left hand cover, saw which pipe goes to front washer jets, disconnected the pipe, blew down it and could hear bubbling water in the washer reservoir, then i thought i'd see if i could suck water back up the pipe, yup i can :yuck:

so my guess is either the motor as died or just a loose wire :wacko:

can anyone shed any light on it as it's due for it's MOT in a few weeks so would failure it :(

trace it back to the pump itself, and see if there are any creases / nicks in the tube. You blowing is likely to be stronger than the pump. Are you sure the pump is working? Disconnect the headlamp one and listen for the noise.

You will be able to hear the pump from outside the car.

Mine failed its MOT due to this 2 weeks ago. I had to take part of the cowling off around my windscreen to get to all the piping, but i unhooked it piece by piece and kept trying the washer jets... That way i found where the blockage was. It turned out to be just before the V-joint where it splits to the separate wipers...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

I have just encountered this problem has anyone else lately so I can get a quick fix. cannot see anything just now with all the salt on the roads. Tried disconnecting the hoses from the jets and there seems to be no pressure (suggesting a blockage) as you can hear the pump working. Like Neo did tried sucking water and got an awful mouthful of 50:50 screenwash. :yuck:

Is it quite common for the pipes before they split to each wiper arm to block?

Secondly can the check valves be frozen or stuck due to the temperatures we are facing recently?

I have just encountered this problem has anyone else lately so I can get a quick fix. cannot see anything just now with all the salt on the roads. Tried disconnecting the hoses from the jets and there seems to be no pressure (suggesting a blockage) as you can hear the pump working. Like Neo did tried sucking water and got an awful mouthful of 50:50 screenwash. :yuck:

Is it quite common for the pipes before they split to each wiper arm to block?

Secondly can the check valves be frozen or stuck due to the temperatures we are facing recently?

Pull the pipes apart at the straight through one way valve just under the windscreen, before the Y pipe. It is the straight through valve which normally fails. Replacements from halfords for £3.