Tein suspension failure - I think

Lexx

What a sodding day.

I was driving back from Whitby about 90 mins ago, and whilst accelerating along a NSL road, I head an almishgty bang from underneath the car. A bang which I felt through the pedals.

The road was quite bumpy, but not enough to cause the car to bottom out. So hazards when on, and I nursed her to the next village (luckily only a few hundred meters) and pulled up. A nasty noise intermittantly happening whenever I went over any uneven surface.

I checked under the car, and made sure everything looked ok. Exhaust was hanging properly, and nothing looked bashed out of place. All wheels looked fine, and ride height looked correct all round.

Decided to drive her home. So took it nice and easy. And all seemed ok.

About 10 mins from home, somethign started squeeking loudly from the front. So again I stopped, and checked over the car. Lifted the bonnet and had a look, but its dark by this point so couldnt tell.

Nursed the car home, sounding like sh!t when going over the speed bumps on my estate at 2 mph.

Got the torch, and looked under bonnet.

Found these 2 bits sitting next to the strut brace.

Photo0063.jpg

Are these part of the suspension? Cos when looking at the top mount of the drivers side, it looks different and mishapen now compared to passenger side. (i'll take decent pics tomorrow when its light to show what I mean).

Anyone any ideas???

Just seen the first line of the instruction manual for the Super Street.... "This product must not be fitted to cars driven on public roads".... Do they all say that?

:scare: Why call it "super street" then?? Idiots.

But yeah, looks like Im missing a few washers too.

I think the bush and coller from the passenger side have done a runner too. :surrender:

I dont even wanna think what this is gunna cost to fix.

Hummm.... Just been checking out the manual... Says dont use a Torque wrench during installation but on the schematic the rubber mount has torque figuers...

You running aftermarket antiroll bars? Reason I ask is cause of how they make the suspension act as one, if you hit a pothole on one side both shocks take the force..

Looking at the construction, If you had hit a pothole and bottomed out this may have forcer the coller through the top but I think you would have known about it.. Either that or they have just blown..

How long you had them? Not long I am guessing... Do they offer wtee? Just looked at the site and couldnt see anything...

Anyone else been driving your car?

Not running any other aftermarket suspension parts, not even a strut brace.

They've been on since June. Not sure on warranty, I got them via Phil, so will ask him. will be asking him to have a look anyway. see if I need full new one, or whether it repairable.

What a sodding day.

and only I drive my car.

Thanks for looking all that up for me :thumbs:

Did you say the adjustment knub was still there??? Wonder how the coller got over it without it coming off...

Yup, its still there. Its too dark to take a decent pic at the minute without the flash ruining it so you cant see anything.

Photo0062.jpg

It's probably not any different in the UK, here there's a 1 year warranty on Tein components.

I'm running the full Super Street suspension system, massive improvement on stock, not had any functional issues at all, even on the shocking surfaces of some NZ roads. (Out of interest nothing mentioned here about not running the Super Street for road, in fact here it's one of the ones they recommend).

What sort of setting are you running your setup at???

Let me know if you need any pics of Zeds setup looks like, if that's any help. :)

Crisis over!

Took the car to see Phil this morning.

Somehow the securing bolt had worked lose, and then the bushes, coller and washes had popped out.

So an hour later and its all sorted!

:yahoo:

• 2 weeks later...