CHOICE AMP AND SUB +/- SPEAKRES

maz77

hi all

i just installed an alpine iDA-X100 into my 350z roadster.

next step is the amp, sub. i am also considering door speakers.

considering my limited knpwledge in the subject i would very much appreciate suggestions from people in the know.

couple of friends suggested an ORION mono channel amp with a 10" ORION sub. others suggested ALPINE dihital amp with ALPINE type R sub.

any one got these installed? is there a better choine for reasonable money?

I picked up a pioneer amp, JL sub and kicker rear speakers off a guy on the other forum, I then went for some Genisis comp speakers upfront.

Kickers are a nice if your looking at budget but the Genisis are the muts...

JL is on the stock position and it is turned down very low as it really does kick you in the back! I may get one of the enclosures from the states that leaves it in the stock location but tips it so the sub faces upwards... And you still get a stock look...

Lots of people have some decent ICE on here so am sure there will be a few options soon...

Do you currently have bose?

Will you be using stock locations?

I have limited knowledge in ice these days but I used JL subs last time I had and they are the business.

it doesn't have bose and yes i prefer to use the stock locations

So where are you looking at mounting the sub?

I know there are plenty of options for speakers in the stock locations

the sub should fit behind the driver's seat. there is a factory prepared metal frame under the plastic cover that sould take the sub easily. the strange thing is that it more than 10" but less than 12". i dont see that as a problem though. 10" or 12" should fit with slight modifications.

a local shop is selling ORION H2 subs 12" 2500W for £139.

any ideas how is this sub and is that a good price?

The Orion H2 are awesome subs. I had one and wish I could have it back again. Been looking around for a 10" version for a while.

Personally I would always go for Orion/Direct amps & subs over Alpine. Alpine are @*!# hot head unit wise but unless your going F1 their amps/speakers & subs are best avoided as there are much better out there.

the 12" sub DEF won't fit. The stock location will only take 10" and only some of those due to the angle of the face. Subs like the H2 which have a much squarer chassis will foul the bottom of the enclosure floor.

Note that I would not put ANY sub designed for a sealed enclosure into the stock location without putting some effort into sealing it as there is no-where near a sealed enclosure there

I picked up a pioneer amp, JL sub and kicker rear speakers off a guy on the other forum, I then went for some Genisis comp speakers upfront.

JL is on the stock position and it is turned down very low as it really does kick you in the back! I may get one of the enclosures from the states that leaves it in the stock location but tips it so the sub faces upwards... And you still get a stock look...

Lots of people have some decent ICE on here so am sure there will be a few options soon...

Can you give us some details on the enclosure you can get from the states? I know the standard bose sub is a free air 10"sub ,and there are a few aftermarket subs available that will fit, but will it be compatible with the bose amp? Cheers.

Can you give us some details on the enclosure you can get from the states? I know the standard bose sub is a free air 10"sub ,and there are a few aftermarket subs available that will fit, but will it be compatible with the bose amp? Cheers.

i managed to bag a new ORION COBALT 500watt 10" SUBWOOFER for £16 including P&P off ebay. now hunting down an amp to match it and possibly speakers with a seperate amp for them. nay suggestions would be welcome.

i am planning to make the enclosue of fibreglass and wood. god knows how is that gonna sound when finished.

can any one explain this free air business before i start?

Building a sub enclosure is no easy business! You have to match the internal air volume to the speaker. Some speakers are designed to work with large air volumes (like the ones in night clubs) these are generally the most powerful and have the greatest low frequency response, others are designed for smaller enclosures and some are designed for no enclosures (free-air subs). If you don't match the enclosure to the speaker you will either get a "coughing" speaker or too "boomy" bass, it's a tricky thing to get right. There are some guides around:

http://www.crutchfield.com/learn/learningcenter/car/subwoofers/box_building.html?page=2

Don't forget to put some sound deadening material in the enclosure to prevent standing waves, they sound sh*t.

I dont know much about your orion sub, but in my experience any sub for 16quid isnt going to blow you away, you were probably better sticking with the bose i'm afraid. Stick to a well known brand, Alpine make some sweet subs (Type R or Type X) which you can get pretty reasonably from eBay:

A personal favourite shop of mine:

http://stores.ebay.co.uk/Autosounds4less-Public-Warehouse

To choose an amp you need to know what impedance the speaker is (4 or 8 ohm usually) and the RMS power handling of the speaker. Then find an amp that has similar RMS(not MAX) power output at that impedance.

Good luck, let us know how you get on!

Its not a free air sub, have you installed it yet? be interesting to know how it sounds.

i haven't installed it yet. i was waiting for the information you provided which means that i need to make a box for it. i am thinking of makeing a box of fibre glass as i can get the shape and the orientation i want.

some body on here mentioned that and upwards pointing sub would be more comfortable from a driver's point of view.

what do you tnhink is this the best amp for it? i have a modest alpine amp that sounds sufficient as i am not after big bass only clear strong sound.

Building a sub enclosure is no easy business! You have to match the internal air volume to the speaker. Some speakers are designed to work with large air volumes (like the ones in night clubs) these are generally the most powerful and have the greatest low frequency response, others are designed for smaller enclosures and some are designed for no enclosures (free-air subs). If you don't match the enclosure to the speaker you will either get a "coughing" speaker or too "boomy" bass, it's a tricky thing to get right. There are some guides around:

http://www.crutchfield.com/learn/learningcenter/car/subwoofers/box_building.html?page=2

Don't forget to put some sound deadening material in the enclosure to prevent standing waves, they sound sh*t.

I dont know much about your orion sub, but in my experience any sub for 16quid isnt going to blow you away, you were probably better sticking with the bose i'm afraid. Stick to a well known brand, Alpine make some sweet subs (Type R or Type X) which you can get pretty reasonably from eBay:

A personal favourite shop of mine:

http://stores.ebay.co.uk/Autosounds4less-Public-Warehouse

To choose an amp you need to know what impedance the speaker is (4 or 8 ohm usually) and the RMS power handling of the speaker. Then find an amp that has similar RMS(not MAX) power output at that impedance.

Good luck, let us know how you get on!

the sub might be cheap but its a new ORION COBALT SERIES 500W. as i mentioned previously i am not after massive bass. only clear strong sound so it should sound excellent.

that article about building an enclosure is brillinat (thanks for that). its particularly helpful as the roadster 350z have a confined space for the sub and it will be tricky to make the enclosure for that.