Show plates

YHTM

Just received the email below from the company which made my plates up. Mine are italic, illegal but not been stopped yet. Is this the end of this type of plate or will they have to be manufactured and sold from abroad?

Limited time left to purchase your Showplates

You may have seen in the press that from 1st November 2008 it will become an offence to sell or manufacture registration plates that do not conform to the latest British Standards and design criteria laid down by the DVLA.

Consequently the ability to purchase Showplates displaying non-legal fonts/spacing/images/slogans etc will be outlawed.

As a result, My Showplates can only supply Showplates until 30th October 2008.

With this date looming and Christmas fast approaching we wanted to give you as much notice as possible to enable you to place your orders and avoid any disappointment. Here is a direct link to our website:

WWW.MYSHOWPLATES.COM We appreciate and thank you for your past support.

Regards

The My Showplate Team

I am registered to make numberplates and yes the above statement is true in that we are not allowed to make 'showplates' anymore. Hefty fines if we get caught. All RNPS suppliers had to sign a form and send it back agreeing to it so looks like decent looking plates will be a thing of the past soon!!

I think if you made the plates up personally for a show then they are not bothered about it but if you start to sell the service then they are more likely to start looking at you.

I can see the logic but IMO its not going to make a difference. The people who are using illegal plates to move cars about are not using these "Custom/Show" plate companies to make they up they virtually all have their own equipment.

What would be more effective is making it harder to get the equipment and consumables like the pre-cut perspex etc

I think if you made the plates up personally for a show then they are not bothered about it but if you start to sell the service then they are more likely to start looking at you.

I can see the logic but IMO its not going to make a difference. The people who are using illegal plates to move cars about are not using these "Custom/Show" plate companies to make they up they virtually all have their own equipment.

What would be more effective is making it harder to get the equipment and consumables like the pre-cut perspex etc

Yeah def agree with that... Although nothing is as easy as simply pulling it off someone else's car which they'll never stop :dry:

Yeah def agree with that... Although nothing is as easy as simply pulling it off someone else's car which they'll never stop :dry:

I saw a news bulleting on BBC one morning where they showed these plates that break up when you try to remove them. You know how safey seals leave a bit behind? Well these do the same, 3 or 4 chunks break away and stay on the car. Easy to remove if you want to change your plates, but stops someone nicking yours. Very clever stuff.

Crap pic but here you go:

anti-theft-number-plates.jpg