What makes a car a 'show car'

Stew

Having a scan on Piston Heads and noticed the show car section. Had a flick through and wasn't impressed with most of them. A couple looked ok though.

So what makes a car a show car?

To me it's either a concourse car that is mint or a modified car that is going to be drooled over. Generally cars that are too good for the road if you know what I mean.

I realise that everyone is different etc but I wouldn't say most cars in there aren't anything particularly special - maybe they once were I suppose.

Anyway, just wondered what everyone elses opinions were!

So what makes a car a show car?

To me it's either a concours car that is mint or a modified car that is going to be drooled over. Generally cars that are too good for the road if you know what I mean.

Yeah, I'd pretty much agree with that. :thumbs:

+1

I would say similar. Concours cars are the 'originals' and how the car show kicked off. I would add rare, sought after cars to the modified cars too though. The problem is that once 'modified' is put in the title, the quality can be sorely lacking....

I would say similar. Concours cars are the 'originals' and how the car show kicked off. I would add rare, sought after cars to the modified cars too though. The problem is that once 'modified' is put in the title, the quality can be sorely lacking....

You are right there for sure Rob. :)

Last year the major Masters Class Concours winner here was a stunning old British racing green sort of colour Porsche 1950 something, can't remember exactly, rare, you could eat off any surface of the car. No one entered this year because it was a wet day, not good for Concours cars.

Concours generally the car must be as original as possible, or you loose points.

What prompted the question Stew, you planning something????

I have an idea what a show car is in my mind but wanted to know what others thought too.

Lol, know what you mean. I won a bunch of trophies at show season at the beginning of the year, but I wouldn't call my Z a show car, it's just shiny and clean. :lol:

Your Zed has a lovely exterior from what I've seen in the photos Stewy. B)

I have an idea what a show car is in my mind but wanted to know what others thought too.

Lol, know what you mean. I won a bunch of trophies at show season at the beginning of the year, but I wouldn't call my Z a show car, it's just shiny and clean. :lol:

Your Zed has a lovely exterior from what I've seen in the photos Stewy. B)

Thanks. It's certainly far from perfect and not a 'show car' in any respects. I'll keep working on the cleaning and hopefully it'll look better after winter!

These are mine and my husbands Z's that we show only. No driving at all. (as much as i would love to :( )

Sorry for the quality of the pics from our personal camera. This was at HIN Orlando, Florida this past July. Inside the convention center and dark.

My husband's....

HINCarDimitri.jpg

HINCarDimitri2.jpg

P7190090.jpg

P7180063.jpg

untitled2.jpg

ahvsized.jpg

ahxsized.jpg

My Z...

P7180060.jpg

P7190094.jpg

HIN featuring the car for their website. That light was BRIGHT!!!! lol

P7190105.jpg

aia.jpg

untitled.jpg

ahzsized.jpg

ahysized.jpg

IMG_7948a.jpg

I love the effort that has gone into those two cars, proper commitment but I dont understand something ... Why bolt turbo's and get the cars running approx 450 bhp (guestimate) if they are not driven anywhere. I know they look pretty but surely tis a touch wasting money.

This is working on the assumption a turbo kits costs the best part of 5k

Yes, it is irritating to not be able to drive them. Well, my husband drives his sometimes though. I'm too scared to. lol

We bought an 03 brickyard for one to drive around and leaving it stock. There is not one person that believes we will leave it stock. Are you kidding??? I LOVE being able to go into parking lots and not avoid certain roads. i can drive it anywhere and LOVE it!! (Although I did get some 06 wheels and new tires for an unbeatable price this past weekend so those will be going on soon. but they are stock wheels! just the wrong year. haha

This is the DD! :thumbs:

P6200212.jpg

P6200211.jpg

But I have seen car shows where i could detail the brickyard to where you can eat off of it and get an award. So, Really, any car can be a show car. I guess it just depends on how modified and drastic the owners want to take it. Every show has so many different classes each one could fall under.

I love the effort that has gone into those two cars, proper commitment but I dont understand something ... Why bolt turbo's and get the cars running approx 450 bhp (guestimate) if they are not driven anywhere. I know they look pretty but surely tis a touch wasting money.

This is working on the assumption a turbo kits costs the best part of 5k

Yeah that is the price range and, unfortunately, the types of shows we enter require turbos or you lose a ton of points. They call it "all show and no go". Yeah, it is a lot of money but we just love to show them and compete. It's really not much different than putting the Ibherdesign widebody on it since that has eliminated it from being driven as well due to the clearance issue. Lots of the $$'s in these cars are just for show. Sad, but true. :(

We bought an 03 brickyard for one to drive around and leaving it stock. There is not one person that believes we will leave it stock. Are you kidding???

We believe you Gina. :p As you say, it makes sense to have one that is drivable in a normal sense.

But I have seen car shows where i could detail the brickyard to where you can eat off of it and get an award. So, Really, any car can be a show car. I guess it just depends on how modified and drastic the owners want to take it. Every show has so many different classes each one could fall under.

I agree. But on the other hand these days most of us think of show cars as something that's pretty extreme, unless you are talking something that's vintage, then it should be as original as possible.

3 zed's you will make a lot of people sick with jealousy!

Cue the Zchickz, Tere's about to run and hide with her garage of Zeds too. :lol:

I think one thing for show cars these days are unusual mods, we can all get bits of kit from the traders but its how we use them...

Most cars I have seen recently include things like full alcantera retrims, total LCD / Computer based dashs, complex sound systems, multi monitors and stuff that is original and not found just anywhere, paint jobs and lots of engine bay bling. Cars have to have a "theme" and lots of colour coordination it seems...

Mods like Pauls lights are things that start to make a show car (obviously he has all the other bits of kit to make that show car!!)

P6200212.jpg

scuffed left front rim tut tut :lol:

Your showcars look B)

Thats a lot of cash and they look amazing, but isn't that like owning 2 museums the fact you won't/don't drive them

Haha, tell me about it! You should see the other side. I don't think the guy that owned it before missed a curb! I bought the 06 wheels but they are still in the back of the Navigator. Been in there for over a week and a half. Gotta get the time to install them. :(

And yeah, we built them knowing we wouldn't drive them. I grew up with a show car in the garage. My father restored a 1968 Camaro RS. We paid $500 for it and he made covers and features of magazines, then sold it for $32,000. And yep,.. he is the reason I am a show car nutcase. haha