Windows XP help needed

jim

Can anyone help? I received an automatic download of XP service pack 3 yesterday, and ever since I have been getting a couple of error messages when I boot up. They are -

AirGCFG.exe - entry point not found

X The procedure entry point apsGetInterfaceCount could not be located in dynamic link library wlnapi.dll

WZCSLDR2.exe - entry point not found

X The procedure entry point apsInitialize could not be located in dynamic link library wlnapi.dll

When I close the boxes the computer boots up OK, and everything else seems to be running fine, but it is really annoying to have the already lengthy boot up sequence extended even further. Any suggestions for fixing this will be gratefully received.

Bit of info off the web

Some malware camouflage themselves as WZCSLDR2.exe, particularly if they are located in c:\windows or c:\windows\system32 folder. Thus check the WZCSLDR2.exe process on your pc whether it is pest. We recommend Security Task Manager for verifying your computer's security. It is one of the Top Download Picks of 2005 of The Washington Post and PC World.

AirGCFG.exe is to do with D-link wireless software, sounds like the file didnt install in the correct way when the CD was put in to strat with.

If you know how to go into the system file and look at the start up files you can stop the services on start up which will speed your boot up time. If the PC needs them they will boot when required. You can always go in and change the settings so they go back to boot up on startup.

Hope this helps a little :)

Looks like the service pack upgrade has removed the .dll files for my D-link wireless modem. It still works, in that I am still getting internet access, but the icon in the status bar has disappeared and I get the same error message when I try to load the software for it from the desktop icon. Looks like I will have to re-install the software?

No need really, best to get rid of it. You should have the IP address for the router which is all you need to access the Router GUI should be something like 192.168.1.1 or 192.168.0.1.

All the rest of the software just uses the windows setting from within the control panel...

PS If you cant reply to this it seems like you may have needed the d-link software!!

OK. Tried un-installing and re-installing the D-Link driver for my wireless adapter, but the problem is still there. Not sure what to do now, since I found it very confusing trying to understand the links in previous posts to the advice on cleaning up the registry etc.

OK. Tried un-installing and re-installing the D-Link driver for my wireless adapter, but the problem is still there. Not sure what to do now, since I found it very confusing trying to understand the links in previous posts to the advice on cleaning up the registry etc.

You could try...

Click Start

Click "Run"

Type "msconfig"

Select startup and you will see a list of programmes that start with Windows.

Decide which ones you don`t want to start and untick the checkbox next to them.

You can also click on the sevices tab tick the box that says hide all Microsoft sevices. You will then see what is running along side Windows, again you can untick anything that you don`t want.

When you have finished click on apply then ok. You will be prompted to restart your computer.

Once your system has restarted, you will be presented with a screen that says, msconfig has been used to make changes etc, tick the box that says do not run on startup and then ok.

Am on Vista so cant check that but from memory thats how to do it. If someone that is happy with PC's with XP can verify!! It works on Vista too BTW!

You could try...

Click Start

Click "Run"

Type "msconfig"

Select startup and you will see a list of programmes that start with Windows.

Decide which ones you don`t want to start and untick the checkbox next to them.

You can also click on the sevices tab tick the box that says hide all Microsoft sevices. You will then see what is running along side Windows, again you can untick anything that you don`t want.

When you have finished click on apply then ok. You will be prompted to restart your computer.

Once your system has restarted, you will be presented with a screen that says, msconfig has been used to make changes etc, tick the box that says do not run on startup and then ok.

Am on Vista so cant check that but from memory thats how to do it. If someone that is happy with PC's with XP can verify!! It works on Vista too BTW!

:thumbs:

I've heard mixed reports about sp3 on other forums :blush:

Geeeeeeeeeeeeek :surrender:

bike forums :p

IT Bikers????

GEEEEEEEEEEEEEEK :surrender:

LMAO :lol::lol:OWNED !

PMSL !!!!

Chuck the pc in the bin and get a decent computer, MACS all the way lol

But we are not southern enough to own mac's, i thought these were mainly owned by southern trendy wussy's ;)

Windows xp is becoming long in the tooth now, with ram becoming cheap and 4gb becoming the sweet spot its time to ditch the 32 bit operating system. Graphics cards are coming with 1-2 gig of memory now as well. If you use your pc for gaming 64 bit vista is fast becoming a must have if you want to get the most out of your hardware. ;)

If you use a pc only for the internet and word then stick with it. :thumbs:

I've heard mixed reports about sp3 on other forums :blush:

Geeeeeeeeeeeeek :surrender:

bike forums :p

IT Bikers????

GEEEEEEEEEEEEEEK :surrender:

LMAO :lol::lol:OWNED !

PMSL !!!!

Chuck the pc in the bin and get a decent computer, MACS all the way lol

But we are not southern enough to own mac's, i thought these were mainly owned by southern trendy wussy's ;)

Windows xp is becoming long in the tooth now, with ram becoming cheap and 4gb becoming the sweet spot its time to ditch the 32 bit operating system. Graphics cards are coming with 1-2 gig of memory now as well. If you use your pc for gaming 64 bit vista is fast becoming a must have if you want to get the most out of your hardware. ;)

If you use a pc only for the internet and word then stick with it. :thumbs:

Never underdstood why people buy pc for gaming when you have the likes of PS3 around with blueray for exceptional dvd quality.

Macs are for men who are like erm... James Bond but with hairy chests and nice smelling aftershaves.

PC's are for northern wimps who sit on a park bench wearing shell tracksuits, spotty, eating deep fried mars bars with chips and downing a bottle of fat drippings hoping to catch a glimps of Beavis running though the park in his mini skirt trying to get all the guys to play kiss chase with him lol