How to utilise JDM Sat Nav Screen

ChinaWhite

Hi All,

I am new to the site, and after a year of driving my R33 GTR I finally swapped it in for a JDM 350z ST with the Sat Nav, which I will be picking up next week....Cant Wait :yahoo:

Anyways I have been reading so much on this forum about the Jap sat nav that annoyingly doesn't work :angry: but haven't seen anyone that has done this or even if this is possible.

What I want to do is use the screen that is already in the cubby hole for a sat nav system but also have a double din head unit for playing music and watching DVD's (I just think that it would be nicer to have a higher screen for the sat nav)

I have the following questions:

1: I know that the X-trail unit fits but they are in short supply so do any aftermarket ones fit e.g. Alpine, DIN nav units...

2: If I used the PAC converter for the HU to utiolise the standard speakers (For the time being) will I need anything else to get it all working

3: Does anyone know of any systems that will allow me to do what I am asking. I have seen the Alpine range that have separate Nav units but not sure on how it is set up with the screen.

I think that if this can be cracked it will look great and make use of that otherwise useless screen.

Thanks in advance

Hi ChinaWhite,

In a simple answer, you cant transfer the satnav from a Kenwood DNX-7200 from the double din to a 2nd screen but I belive you can from an Alpine.

The problem you will have is the inputs as it will have a "nissan" plug end I belive. If its got a yellow input then you can transfer anything as long as the HU will send.

Best to try would be a kenwood satnav box like the KNA-G421 that you can link to the screen in someway depending on the inputs. You would need somewhere to fit the IR receiver as the screen cant be used as an interface.

You could then fit another double din screen unit in place of the crap installed HU (although yours being an import you may find you already have a nice aftermarket one. Its been known for ones to turn up here with multi camera setups and decent HU's) and have a dual screen setup.

Where you based? If its in the south and around the london area happy to meet up to have a look when you get it.

Mark

Hi 3Fiddy,

Thanks for the quick reply.

Seeing as I haven't got the car yet I do not know what inputs are available on the back of the standard screen, but I have heard of people using them as reversing cameras etc so I think that it may have a yellow input.

I know that my one has the standard unit in it so I have to do it all myself.

I was thinking that if I could get an separate nav unit that had a typical Red, White, Yellow output cables then I might be able to split the video to go to the original Screen.

My only concern is that even if this is possible I know that alot of units have the ability to play music and sat nav at the same time, so would this still work.

I Live in SE London, so I might have to take you up on your offer.

Has anyone else tried this setup in the past and any experiences. I just really want to do something with that screen other than hide it forever.