newbie needs advice

s14neal

evening all, as you can tell, i'm new to this forum after being on the sxoc for so long and i need to call on all your combined thoughts as i'm ready to take the plunge and join the delights of nissan ownership!

i had a couple of 200sx's, the last being a 320bhp s14a and i shed a few tears when i had to sell her, and me and the misses have been sharing a 04reg mini cooper s works model (don't laugh, over 200bhp in a mini is a hoot! B) ) but now that the finance is all paid, its time i can have a car of my own again! woo hoo!

i've been gagging for a 350z ever since my 200sx days as my local nissan parts guy had one in the showroom by his desk and trust me, i spent a lot of time in that place!

as with everything, i know you get what you pay for, but don't want to throw money at one if a slightly older model just as good if that makes any sense. i can't fit as many toys as i did to my old s14a but i'm thinking improved air filter and a stainless exhaust, possibly some tasteful lowering but i have to keep the delicious rays wheels that i beleive only the gt came with? does the 350z respond well to these little tweeks?

what sort of mileage are these cars happily capable of, from experience the 200sx's were all pretty high mileage from all the motorway miles they were intended for.

i realise this is a silly long post, but any advice on buying and what to look for would really help.

thanks so much :thumbs:

the 350z has an ecu that cancels out nearly all mods, induction, exhaust etc, prob the only thing that makes any difference is a plenum spacer unless you go FI

or you can buy a piggy back ecu but it all quite expensive for little gain

most mods are for noise and looks

best money is spent on brakes and suspension imo

they handle miles very well, 350zdoc is selling his atm with 114,000 miles oon the clock without any major issues

:welcome:

i had heard a few stories about the 350 cancelling out any mods, but at nearly 300bhp they would be aimed more at acoustic pleasure rather than performance gains. ;)

after a bit of a look about i can't help the cheaper zeds seem to be all silver, i had my eye on a black or blue one, but they appear to be a lot pricier than the silver masses, is this a fair observation?

apart from the obvious rays wheels, what is the difference between the standard and gt spec, and are imported cars best kept clear of?

thanks for the welcome by the way :teeth:

Most of the price difference is usually between GT and non-GT cars. Take a look in the FAQ's and all those questions will be answered there for you.

Imports are not to be steered clear of, no. It depends how much you want to spend and what you want to do with it. Best thing to do is find one you like the look of and a lot of them people on here will know about and will offer opinions / advice. :)

The silver and gray prices can be a bit lower as they look great in primer (sorry but it can't all be compliments - there is a colour war going on afterall! :boxing: ) so there are lots on the road and lots available. Only you know if it's worth paying a small premium to have your preferred colour.

welcome to the forum, personally i would buy a cheap primered one and get it sprayed a decent colour :lol::lol:

na each to there own, lots to choose from and apart from a few differences the imorts are great value for money but just remember they will be a lot more to insure, i think if i remember correctly they are classed as a group 20 where as the uks are a 17 ???

also if you can pick up a car that belongs to someone from one of the owners sites you can bet they will be looked after :thumbs:

Paul

Dream CustomZ

wow, cheers guys. i think i'm going to like it here! its funny how the lowering and wheel spacer topic pops up again, its exactly the same on the sxoc, what is it with nissan making their mental rwd cars sit so high with wheels not sticking out far enough! Hi rob, yea brighton not far, no doubt when i find the right car i'll be heading over the seafront down your way, show the chav boy racers a real car! B)

thelongads, i'd love to take the azure zed off your hands, but its more than i'm allowed to spend. baby on the way so i'm lucky she's not making me buy a people carrier so i'm not pushing my luck! good luck with the sale though.

gunmetal does look totally trick with black wheels like ian's, hmmmmmm the decisions.................

thelongads, i'd love to take the azure zed off your hands, but its more than i'm allowed to spend. baby on the way so i'm lucky she's not making me buy a people carrier so i'm not pushing my luck! good luck with the sale though.

No worries - good luck with finding a Zed. If you change your mind drop me a PM, I'm open to offers.

cheers

Ads

:welcome:

you wont regret getting a gunmetal car. Cheaper & the fastest of all the colours B)

Welcome to the forum :thumbs:

All the gunmetal owners wili say that - cos they think because their cars are left in primer (and therefore cheaper) they will also be lighter in weight - truth is to get a real shiney black one as it cuts through the air like a knife through butter and therefore so much quicker :p

Can have blue if you like but a bit gay and would be second second best ;)